News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Is there writing on the wall for V2 ?"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, March 30, 2012, 09:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why?Town

I had been there once before for a couple of drinks but it's really a little too trendy a place for me to be spending much time there.

After reading this thread last Friday, the wife and I went for dinner on Saturday. I was somewhat surprised at the menu. For a place that seems somewhat high end with their wine list and fancy beers, It seems strange to me that the food choices were appetizers, burgers, pizza and I think one choice of pasta.

Well at least the food was good and even with two decent beers and some funny cocktail (orange creamsicle?) we still got out of there for just over $50 including a 20% tip, and tips aren't something I just give away so I should also mention the good service.

Will it last? we'll see

ytowner

Quote from: irishbobcat on April 01, 2012, 07:33:35 PM
Maybe the V2 owners have bought into the belief that Youngstown has indeed become
a Boom Town and they are simply getting their piece of the pie. Maybe they jacked their
prices up because they believe everyone who now patrons their establishment must be high
rolling fat cats from the fracking industry.....
Their prices really aren't bad. Buy one of those pizza's and it's worth every dollar.

And once again, every time I drive by there, it is packed. I know some workers there that I went to school with and if you have any concerns, I can get you their email address so you can address your concerns.

irishbobcat

Maybe the V2 owners have bought into the belief that Youngstown has indeed become
a Boom Town and they are simply getting their piece of the pie. Maybe they jacked their
prices up because they believe everyone who now patrons their establishment must be high
rolling fat cats from the fracking industry.....

Towntalk

Time to call in the experts.

Rick Rowlands

The restaurants that survive and thrive for decades have a few things in common.  They aren't loud, their prices aren't outrageous, and they have solid, simple menus.  A loud restaurant with high prices and a menu that only has about a dozen offerings is not going to survive in the long run.  Oh, having ample parking nearby is also a big factor.  None of the downtown restaurants could handle the MVR lunch crowd because there is nowhere to park.  When we went to V2 we had to park west of the DeYor.  That was the closest spot.

Youngstownshrimp

Yes Rick, they lost me as a customer too.  $10 a drink and one of the drinks was for Vernon himself.  I think there is too many drinking at that trough to survive and I foretold the B&O, Anthony's, Cedars and definitely Frangos.

jay

I agree about the problem of loud music while dining.  It's no fun to have to yell to be heard by someone who is only sitting a few feet away.

iwasthere

it was not the prices that put rosetta stone into foreclosure status. the problem laid with chuck sapp one of the owners. he would put  one thousand dollars into the cash register at the beginning of the business day while at the sametime he would take out seven hundred dollars out of the till to spend it as a big shot with customers. he owes the city over two hundred thousand dollars and unforeclose amt of dollars to his employees.

ytowner

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on March 30, 2012, 09:49:28 PM
I patronized Rosetta Stone when they first opened up, helped them with Jazz ensembles just to ensure the place survived.  Last Wenesday, I had an experience at V2's that was a dead ringer to an episode I hade a few years ago at the Rosetta Stone.  Just like Rosetta Stone, I ordered drinks but in V2's it was a round of four drinks. the bill was $40.  A few years back, Chuck's son (Rosetta) charged me $8 for a glass of house red wine.  These actions seem to me to be a harbinger of financial trouble.  Rosetta Stone collapsed, I feel and hear that V2's may be having a hard time in servicing the large expenditure of investment into itself......this is my business opinion only.
I've only been there once but enjoyed the food. Whenever I drive by in the evening hours, the place is packed. I hear it is packed at lunch as well. The name Vernons = good, quality food. If you want to talk expensive, head across the road to the new Italian place over there. Heard it is pricey, but good food!

Rick Rowlands

Well I was there a few weeks ago with five friends and the band was so loud that we could not speak to each other.  So just then V2 lost five customers.  We'll go to the MVR where we can at least talk to each other and be heard.   Its too bad as the food was good, although the menu is ridiculously small.

Youngstownshrimp

I patronized Rosetta Stone when they first opened up, helped them with Jazz ensembles just to ensure the place survived.  Last Wenesday, I had an experience at V2's that was a dead ringer to an episode I hade a few years ago at the Rosetta Stone.  Just like Rosetta Stone, I ordered drinks but in V2's it was a round of four drinks. the bill was $40.  A few years back, Chuck's son (Rosetta) charged me $8 for a glass of house red wine.  These actions seem to me to be a harbinger of financial trouble.  Rosetta Stone collapsed, I feel and hear that V2's may be having a hard time in servicing the large expenditure of investment into itself......this is my business opinion only.