News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Rain Gardens Farmers Market

Started by Towntalk, May 16, 2011, 07:26:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shar

I plant my squash by seed but you can buy them at the garden center started in pots. I don't plant my corn until June because it germinates better when the soil is warmer. I know that many farms usually plant much earlier though. I just planted my potatoes last weekend, much later than normal. I suspect that most of our locally grown produce will be much later to harvest than normal this year.

Towntalk

On the farm I worked at in the 1960's, we planted squash in the corn field along side the corn ... from seed.

I did start cantaloupe in a hotbed planting the seeds in peet cups and transplanted them in the same field with watermelons and ended up with two loads to deliver to market. Because they were started in peet cups the root system was not disturbed and the cups disintegrated once in the field.

The same was done with peppers and tomatoes.

jay

Many people in our area start squash plants indoors to get a jump on the growing season.

Towntalk

That's good for crops that can be transplanted, but not all crops can be transplanted, and for some, if they are transplanted they can go into shock and die.

As to soil, how long will it take for the soil to dry out enough to plow?

Crops like corn, squash, and potatoes can't be transplanted.

jay

Many of our market farmers started their plants in a green house.  The plants are growing and are only waiting to be transplanted to the fields.

Towntalk

What is all this rain going to do to the local farmers markets? When are they going to be able to get their crops in, and how good will the yeald be?

Soggy pattern holds in Valley
http://www.vindy.com/news/2011/may/16/soggy-pattern-holds-in-valley/

By now the gardners should have their early crops planted.