News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Historic Building Saved From Demolition"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, April 19, 2011, 03:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

As per request, only one of the archive pictures shows the front of the building, the other two pictures show the back of the structure.

Youngstownshrimp

The historic Greek revival today as it is in Poland, all because a few Mahoning Valley residents Had vision six years ago.  They did not have a lot of meetings, they did not exist on cyberspace only, they did not wait for nor receive handouts.  No, they started with the true spirit to defend the historic structures left in Poland, they used their intellect , they compartmentalized into each ones expertise and today, the historic structure is a win-win to every citizen of Poland.  It stands as a testimony that we do not need to depend upon a handout to get things accomplished.

Youngstownshrimp

:)  As I was stating, Greek revival architecture is unique in Ohio and is rare.  The structural members are most likely post and beam, mortised and hewed.  Greek revival were designed to appear as temples, this is why the Franciscans may apply this design to their holdings.  Attached is a Greek revival second floor exposing the large trusses that are dowelled into the post and beam unit.

Youngstownshrimp

;D  The old historic house on the westside can and should be saved.  The community organizers if they are worth their salt or even someone from our local think tank, YSU should jump up and lead the charge like we pay them to do.  I'm really getting lonely as I get older and wait for the intelligentsia of our town to come forth with brilliance.  The old Greek Revival on the Franciscan acreage can be moved as depicted on the attached Photo's.  If Poland Village could group together without a grant and recycle by moving this 1843 Greek revival, I would think us with our higher paid academia can tackle the west side historic structure.