News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Old House

Started by jay, March 20, 2011, 09:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 05, 2011, 08:24:10 PM
Once again, please explain, this YTown attitude of secrecy is backwards, maybe some of us can help and we are not talking about national security here.  Communities fail when they are devided.

Perhaps iwasthere doesn't know who these people are?  The secretary at my office called about this house, and was told the same thing; a number of people have expressed interested in saving the house.  I believe she called someone she knows at Lien Forward.  But, whoever she called didn't give any names.

One thing the secretary learned from her call, that I forgot to share with the forum, is that there is about $90k of debt attached to the property.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Once again, please explain, this YTown attitude of secrecy is backwards, maybe some of us can help and we are not talking about national security here.  Communities fail when they are devided.

iwasthere

there are people on the westside that are interested in saving the house from any more deterioration but they have to resolve several legal huddles before taking possession of this piece of property.

Youngstownshrimp

Cutting through all the rancor (if that is what it truly is),  bottom line is that no one had vision to do anything about saving the structure and anything else is just excuses.  I have no usage for the house but in the future I will post pictures of a Greek revival we in Poland saved by moving it.  Many on this forum resent those of us who actually perform and produce and what is established here is the talkers like Dennis and others have no response but the high school name calling, it is recorded here on past post.  Those who picked up there marbles to go home remain insignificant in the community anyway.

iwasthere

just because this forum becomes a battle between the states does not mean bloggers should give up on debating on this blog. i believe in duking it out that is my fighting irish side of me that comes out of me.

northside lurker

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on April 01, 2011, 10:32:24 AM
It took three pages of posts to learn about the true situation regarding the house.  Like squeezing a turnip for blood to get any useful info. off this forum.

OK Joe Friday, this is a discussion forum, after all.

Seriously though, the rancorous nature this forum has acquired over the last year or so has driven away some posters who might have been able to provide this information sooner.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

It took three pages of posts to learn about the true situation regarding the house.  Like squeezing a turnip for blood to get any useful info. off this forum.

northside lurker

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on April 01, 2011, 07:53:08 AM
Well educate us then, why no effort to "recycle" as in deconstruction or housemoving?  Or, maybe "it dressed in overalls and looked like work?"

I'm not a real estate expert, so you will probably understand the specifics of the situation better than I.

The bank began the foreclosure process on the house, but then "walked away."  It was explained to the group that it would be difficult to clear the house of the various debts/liens associated with it.  If you (or Rick) are interested, by all means, please buy it.  Or, talk to the demolition contractor, and buy the structure from them.

As far as I know, (the house was discussed at 2 previous meetings, but I only attended this last meeting) there was never interest by the group to try to buy the house.  The issue that was voted on was simply whether to encourage the city to demolish the house now, or to not demolish the house now.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

Nothing of any value is ever done by a committee, or in this case an association.  Its always an individual who accomplishes great things.  It just takes one person to save this house.  Unfortunately the "brain drain" has removed most of those individuals from the area.

Youngstownshrimp

Well educate us then, why no effort to "recycle" as in deconstruction or housemoving?  Or, maybe "it dressed in overalls and looked like work?"

northside lurker

The decision to support demolition of this house didn't have anything to do with grants, or brain drain...
--Thomas Edison

Youngstownshrimp

Anything is possible if our community has vision, sadly not.  Poor Youngstown, the brain drain is just about complete, I did this in Steubenville in 1991 when I was 31, maybe I just didn't know any better.  This house has a full basement with an occupancy certificate and most likely has been occupied for twenty years.  Oh, and we didn't use grants either, we were to proud for that.

northside lurker

Considering the reasons given at the meeting, this still seems shortsighted to me.  :'(
--Thomas Edison

jay

Most of the members of the Rocky Ridge Neighborhood Association voted tonight not to object to the demolition of this old house.

Towntalk

It's strange that the Price family name should pop up here. When I lived on the West Side as a youth I passed there every day going to school at the "new" Chaney and the Price family went to our church. Mrs. Price sang in the church choir.

Gee, that was 55 years ago. How time flys.