News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Where was it 1

Started by Towntalk, August 17, 2010, 11:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I did find one after all.

Towntalk

Strangely for as famous as he was, I couldn't find any pictures of him. J. G. Butler references him, but no pictures.

Rick Rowlands

I would like to create a steel wall of fame, but have not figured out just yet what it would look like or who would be included. 

I enjoyed your photos but I didn't see Julian Kennedy's picture.  Hey maybe that can be your next quiz question.  Who was Julian Kennedy?

Towntalk

If I came off sounding like a grouch Rick, I'm sorry because I have a great deal of respect for you and all your work in preserving our steel history.

Might I also while I'm at it make this suggestion for your museum. A wall of fame containing pictures of the men who made the industry possable in Youngstown. I have many portraits of most of the men on my webshots site that you are free to download.

http://news.webshots.com/album/577689595eHamfF

Rick Rowlands

I was joking! Lighten up!

I never knew Phelps went up the hill.  Always thought that it dead ended there.

Towntalk

:'( Yep "ooops" Sorry about that.  ;D

Chock it up to old age.

Why?Town

Towntalk

Didn't say that it would be easy, so what do you want ... somethinng so easy that a first grader who never saw Youngstown could get it?

Our Forum Manager came very close to getting it, and a tip of the hat to her.

By the way, that road was still in existence as late as 1907 according to the Sanborne Fire Insurance Map. Any idea when it was finally closed and the bridge over the tracks built?

In fact Rick, it was still open as late as 1928.

Rick Rowlands

Yes I can see how easy it would be to identify with not a single object in that photo existing at the present, not even the road remains.  What a cinch!!! :) 

Towntalk

I guess this was tougher than I thought it would be, but it was located at Phelps and Commerce looking north to Wood Street before the railroads came to town.

Towntalk

It's nowhere on either Wick or Fifth Avenue or Market Street

Shar

Towntalk

Shirley

Darn! :'(  The house at the top of the photo reminds me of a house that was only torn down in the last few years that was at the corner of Fifth and Wood.

Towntalk