News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New White Owner Cancel Black Radio Talk Show

Started by Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics, September 14, 2006, 02:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldmill

I am curious , If I were to go to any  radio stations anywhere and want to have an all white radio program promoting white pride I would be considered a racist  As a matter of fact if anything at all promotes white pride its racist. Will someone tell me why in the heck when a black person or group does this its ok ?  I'm really curious as to some of the answers i'll receive

Rick Rowlands

There is nothing stopping blacks from starting their own radio station.  Oh wait a minute, they did but couldn't make a go of it and sold it. Apparently the new owners felt that the show was underperforming and the owner has every right to maximize his investment.   If you want to complain please contact the former black owners of the station and ask why the would sell the station.

Towntalk

Is there any word about what foremat WGFT will adopt - News - Sports - Music - Talk?

I agree that the valley's Black comunity should haver a radio station that meets their needs.

There are recourses with the FCC. We al agree that the Valley's Black community is underserved, and when WGFT's license comes up for renewal the Black comunity should file complaints with the FCC. WGFT will have to submit those complaints with the FCC and if they don't, you have legal recourse.

I suggest that you sit down with an attorney who could help you through the process and good luck.

Frank Bellamy, MAP Masters of Applied Politics

New White Owner Cancel Black Radio Talk Show

Today the new owners [Chris McMurray cmc@pdq.net] canceled the only Black Radio Talk Show in Mahoning County.  The once Black owned radio station [WGFT 1330 AM (330) 744-5115] was taken over by the White owned Bernard Ohio, LLC company.  One of the first decisions of the new White station owners was to limit Black voices the access to Freedom of Speech. They did this by cancelling the very popular radio talk show "Let's Talk about It" hosted by Brother K [Kenneth King YSU Graduate]. 

This poor community decision by the new White station owner has caused a tidal wave of discontent within the Youngstown/Mahoning County Black Community.  Black listeners are making telephone calls to all of the station's advertisers and refusing to buy any products or services advertised on this station.  The Black listeners are planning a Protest Demonstration in front of the radio station.

Comments are pouring in to Mayor Jay Williams' office about possible political isolation of the Black community because of the station's action to limit Black political opinions in Youngstown.  The "Let's Talk about It" radio show was often frequented by Mayor Williams and his political operatives.

The Youngstown/Mahoning County Black Community is considered to be one of the most isolated segments of citizens in this region of Ohio.  Black Political and Economic isolation is very evident in this region and it is reflected as; High Crime Rates, High Unemployment Rates, Limited Access to Services and blatant acts of Discrimination on most levels of business and government. 

Posted by [imailisbest@sbcglobal.net]