News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

WICK BUILDING

Started by Towntalk, August 08, 2012, 05:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

this is annie gilliam's ward. her main concern is to keep the frackers away from her ward residents to become well informed about the pitfalls of fracking.

kenneyjoe330

Holy Cow - I hope something is done IMMEDIATLY for safety's sake AND CHECK ALL THOSE OLD BUILDINGS - Does anyone know who the Council Person who's ward that is in  ???  Is it THE SAME ONE that allowed scaffolding up for YEARS ???  Is she going to run for another term or is her limit up.  Maybe it will stay in the family dinesty  ::) If she runs for another term I would be very happy to help her opponent and remind people in her ward how quickly she has acted in SAFETY matters like this and the sidewalks.  Oh yea and the "Gated Communities" she has permitted on PUBLIC PROPERTY ! ! !  Yep summer and winter negotiating around broken fences - just lovely - I have been to both small and large cities in several countries in Europe and I would NOT call those Gated Communities European    :P :P :P

Towntalk

Part of the Wick Building in downtown Youngstown came crashing to the ground Tuesday afternoon.

A portion of the facade fell off the building and landed on the sidewalk at the intersection of Federal Plaza West and North Phelps Street. City crews blocked off a portion of the sidewalk for safety.

The Wick Building is more than 100 years old, and at one time was the tallest building in the city. Recent plans are to convert the office spaces into apartments.

"If there's issues and the owners aren't taking care of them, I'm going to make sure they take care of them and if they don't, I'm going to shut the buildings down. But we've got to make the people that come downtown, we've got to make them safe when they're walking on the sidewalks and also when they're in these buildings," said Youngstown Mayor Chuck Sammarone.

Sammarone also said it's the responsibility of the building owners to keep them up to code.

"If this was on the weekend in downtown Youngstown, if that would have fell off the building at that period of time, the chances of somebody getting hurt would have been significantly increased," said Phil Kidd, owner of Youngstown Nation.

Kidd also said that it didn't take long for crews to arrive to clear the debris and block off the sidewalk beneath where the bricks had fallen.