News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Window Mural Project On Kickstarter

Started by jay, June 12, 2012, 05:58:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The window mural is being installed this weekend.

kenneyjoe330

Congratulations - Glad they surpassed their goal and I hope I am WRONG about the murals.  But I don't think so  :laugh: We shall see.  WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THEIR ENTREPENEURSHIP ?   I think they may be closet Republicans  :laugh:   That is an average of $$63.00 per person . :o   Some people think they are a good investment and are going to be pleased with their 'return'. :)   

jay

The goal has been reached.  As of this morning, 120 individuals have helped contribute $7,475 toward the downtown mural project.

Youngstownshrimp

We may not be going off topic here if we relate Peggy's interest as a kickstarter for a house on the northside that she is interested in.
If this is the house you want, going forward through a tax cert. approach or the new landbank;  first have a present owner title search.  You should contact a title company, I recommend Atty. Mastriana at Commonwealth, they are astute concerning property searches.  As you order the present owner search, relay to them that if the results of the search works for you, you will come back ordering a PJR Preliminary Judicial Research. This will get you on your way, the present owner search will reveal to you the financial history of the property and this is what you need to make an investment move on the distress property initially.
Most likely, you will find encumbrances on the property, do not worry about them especially if they are in default.  The tax certs. and costs will be the superior lien and most likely consume whatever equity a secured entity would be interested in.  Also, most houses that are not up to code in Youngstown can be argued (appraiser) to have a negative value.

Rick Rowlands

That means the property owner has not paid property taxes and a lien on the property has been sold to an investor.  Ron will be able to explain better how this works and how it may be helpful to you.

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on June 22, 2012, 08:59:57 AM
You seem to be one who has not just accepted much of the hype surrounding the nonprofits justifying their existence, this is good.  Most of Youngstown is swept under the rug.  Not to say most really want to better our community but are misled.
Here is a tip for you, I read you want to live on the Northside.  I may not know much but I do know real estate investments, albeit ten years ago our concentration has been on raw land, but the approach is the same.  Start using Mahoning GIS mapviewer and when you find a house that you like and may have financial problems, check if the there is a negotiated lien.  This is step one and I will instruct you on the next step.  The way to secure houses in Youngstown is better without going retail.

Ok I found a house I am interested in. Looked it up on the auditors website and it says

NEGOTIATED SOLD LIEN-RETURN MAIL
CONTACT MAHONING COUNTY TREASURER

YOUNGSTOWN, OH 44503 USA

I don't know what this means?
~ Normal is overrated ~

jay

Only a few more contributions are needed to meet the goal. 

kenneyjoe330

I may know a little more than the average person about art - I will take it over sports ANYDAY ! ! !   In my most humble opinion the most OUTSTANDING example of a murial in the city of Youngstown is seen entering town on the Market Street Bridge - it is OLD - 30 years maybe - help me out people - it was done as a kind of spoof about all the "Court Houses"  we were promissed (and eventually GOT by the way due to a certain United States Congressman - among other things seen and unseen to the right of Market Street and it's bridge into Youngstown - you shouldn't have to think hard people - you know ! ! ! )  There was also a program of reproductions of paintings from The Butler - Crack The Wip is still high on a building facing East and can be seen from West Federal and is across from The Encore.  Then there are all the fantastic pictures of long ago Youngstown on the "boarded up" places in the city - it is a lot better passing these pictures than just plane boards or worse.  I don't think I like the idea of putting a mural over relitively new/redone buildings and not only blocking light from entering in but in a sence taking away from the architectural integrity of the building itself.  I have seen the murals in Stubenville and other places too - Blank walls make excellent places for such art work and add interest to an otherwise 'open canvas'.
Hay manager - what happened to the 'SPELL CHECK' ? ? ?  With out it I look dumber than i yam  ;D  or is than a yam  ;D  I would appreciate any help I can get - THANKS - your a real Sweet Potateer and every know they are smarter than yams  ::)

Peggy Gurney

Quote from: Youngstownshrimp on June 22, 2012, 11:25:26 PM
Maybe because the downtown economy is weak for most startups so a handout is an offset. 

That's all well and good, but they're giving these 'handouts' to established businesses as well.
That is what I do not agree with.
~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

Maybe because the downtown economy is weak for most startups so a handout is an offset.  Which brings us always back to.... the government should never be the pickers and choosers of free enterprise , it has no expertise or track record.

Peggy Gurney

Thanks!  I will try this.

What really gets me is all these businesses going into downtown getting tax abatements and relief for 5 or more years.
Say WHAT????  That tax money could demo eyesores, repave streets, improve neighborhoods, etc.   
Why are we essentially PAYING businesses to move into our downtown? IF they see it as such a good investment, they'd want to move downtown regardless, imo.

As you can tell, I'm pretty opinionated.   ::)

~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

You seem to be one who has not just accepted much of the hype surrounding the nonprofits justifying their existence, this is good.  Most of Youngstown is swept under the rug.  Not to say most really want to better our community but are misled.
Here is a tip for you, I read you want to live on the Northside.  I may not know much but I do know real estate investments, albeit ten years ago our concentration has been on raw land, but the approach is the same.  Start using Mahoning GIS mapviewer and when you find a house that you like and may have financial problems, check if the there is a negotiated lien.  This is step one and I will instruct you on the next step.  The way to secure houses in Youngstown is better without going retail.

Peggy Gurney

I agree, and this has been my main argument for 3 yrs now.

So things are happening in downtown. Great. Fine. Whooptydoo.
What about the REST OF THE TOWN???   

What the hell good is a thriving downtown going to be to any of us if the outlying neighborhoods continue to decay and fall apart?
Keep going the way we are, and downtown is going to be the ONLY part of Youngstown left to speak of.

~ Normal is overrated ~

Youngstownshrimp

Maybe they should start another Kickstarter to maintain them :').  See what I am trying to impart here, when we drift away from free enterprise, nothing else really works.  Take all the grants and subsidies, have they made Youngstown really any better?  Facts are what we see with our eyes as we visit other areas, Youngstown is sadly an embarassment and I moved here from Poland. Since 1990, I have seen the continual decline of Youngstown and invested here.  Yes, progress seems to be taking place today and an argument can be made, but only for the downtown, the outskirts are worse than they ever were.  But I remember, the B&O....Anthony's....Rossetta Stone...Bean Counter, and many more.  Many of these entities were kickstarted with subsidies, this is not free enterprise.
Fortunately, Youngstown now has a valuable product and Big money wants it and is investing in it.  Sadly, this will not change the 57% who exist off subsidies.

Peggy Gurney

Yeah that's what I'm concerned about.  Fine and great to pay for these murals now. But time and the elements can and do take a toll on them.
So who's going to maintain them?

~ Normal is overrated ~