News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Bike Racks For Turning Technology Building

Started by jay, December 20, 2011, 10:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

I just did a Google Image search for bike racks and was astounded beyond words worthy of verbalizing at the varied and different styles bike racks are taking. It seems that the designs are as much works of art as they are functional devices for maintaining a bike in an upright position. Ah me give me the simpler days of yore.

iwasthere

towntalk art experts had the similiar responses about the mona lisa, the sistine chaple ect..... i am a person that embraces art for what it is not what it is suppose to be by an someone's personal standards.

Towntalk

Do you honestly think that somewhere down the old dirt road some great art expert will come along , see those fancy bike racks, go into a serious swoon and have them submitted for a grand and glorious blue ribbon award and have them preserved in some art gallery as a noble work of art?

Come to think about it they would make a swell base for a art deco floor lamp. Put 'em up for auction on eBay and some blame fool who has more cash than good old fashion common sense would spend big bucks on such a floor lamp.

iwasthere

i do remember the good ole days when everything look like products that came off of an assembly-line. what a bore.

Why?Town

iwasthere,

Remember the good old days when every school and library had at least one bike rack on the property? Those racks about as tall as a bike's tire with several metal loops along each side, spaced to allow the wheel to easily fit yet still hold the bike upright on each side? Did they look like art? Not really. The main concern during the design phase was that they serve a function, hold bikes, the form was a result of that and it's obvious what they are. Form follows function.

Those racks at turning technology look like art. The main concern during the design phase was what they would look like, the form. The function of the rack was an afterthought at best and certainly not a result of the function they were intended to serve. It's not even clear that they should be used for anything other than decoration.

Had I not read what they were on this site I would have thought that anyone chaining a bike to one was a pretty inconsiderate loser.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on March 23, 2012, 02:29:55 PM
I believe that form follows function.
are you saying the bike racks do not fellow function?

Rick Rowlands

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on December 20, 2011, 04:12:25 PM
That's a bike rack?
yes it is. rick you are a patron of the arts. you cannot tell the difference between realism and abstract bike racks?

jay

The bike rack is being used.

Rick Rowlands

jay

Some artistic bike racks have been installed in front of the Turning Technologies Building.  The caution tape will be removed as soon as the cement cures.