News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"City should offer Amish Eastside land"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, September 06, 2010, 10:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

Not all Amish live in communities.  I know of at least 2 families (don't know them personally) back in my home town who didn't live near a community.  One family lived in a suburb just east of Massillon, (about 2 blocks away from the city limits) and the other lived in the country just south of Massillon.

What do you mean by government intrusion in the cities?  I won't say anything about Ron's shrimp farms.  But, the only other example of a family trying and failing to make a go of farming in the city, bought land that wasn't zoned agricultural, and someone nearby objected to the zoning change. (but it's been awhile, I may not be remembering correctly)

The only drawback I can see to farming in the city is the income tax.  But, the cost of the land may offset that.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Rick Rowlands

The Amish live in communities, and unless a significant number of amish moved to the east side I don't think this would work.  Also, the amish are a no bullshit group of people and would not tolerate the excessive government intrusion existing in cities.  Several members of the parasite class living on the east side would complain to their council member about the horses, tractors, smells and good old fashioned hard work, and the council member would then overstep their bounds and harass the amish until they moved back out.  Isn't that what happened with you Ron?

Unless you have a reason to punish the amish, I would not suggest that they move to Youngstown.

Youngstownshrimp

If one were to go onto the Auditor site and look up (owner) Youngstown, or Youngstown Revitalization and you will see majority of the vacant parcels and acreage help by the City.  Most of this property has sat dormant without even tax revenue for decades if not half a century.  The City should announce a "Homestead Plan" , whoever offers to till the soil and pay "agricultural zoned" taxes can homestead.   

AllanY2525

The last master plan for the city (1950's) estimated that the city would
reach a population of 250,000 people by the year 2000.  The projections
were that most of the additional growth and development would take place
on the East Side.

The East Side never really did get developed, and for the large part, remained
rural - just as we see it now.  There are streets on the map on this side of
town that were planned out (and in some cases, actually built) that never got
filled with houses.

northside lurker

Well, from what little I know about the east side, parts of it are not very urban.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Amish care if they live within a city's limits.

As Shrimp mentioned in another thread, the Amish may simply be unaware of the cost and availability of the land on the east side.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

I'm under the impression that the Amish really don't want to live in cities.

Youngstownshrimp

Since majority of the vacant land on the Eastside have no interested investors, the City should offer all of it for homesteading to the Amish.