News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Will New Verizon Tower Obstruct Mt. Hope Cemetary?"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 09, 2014, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

If I am not mistaken,  an esteem member if this forum is a member of the planning commision of Youngstown.   Ms. Krupa,  is the cell tower permit now expired?  Thank you in advance.

Youngstownshrimp

Is the Mahoningvalley.info really this powerful that it can undue a careless D'avignon blunder?

Youngstownshrimp

Over a year now and the tower is not yet built.  Could this outcry on MVI here scared the cell tower away?  Could D'avignon's insensitivity to placing cell.tower in front of  the cemetery reverse itself?

Youngstownshrimp

The bottomline here is that the City's planning department failed to do proper planning on this development and blast the process thru.

Dogsled

Quote from: AllanY2525 on February 28, 2014, 12:25:12 AM
I'm guessing that when a new base station goes up, the antennae are the very last part
that gets installed...probably doesn't take too long to mount an array.  If the equipment
is co-located in someone else's space then people would probably never see that part of
the deployment.
      HUH?
(Excuse me here i'm just trying out some of the text features)

The stuff at the top of the towers pay monthly rent (not ownership)  the thing I like is this is skilled labor and these guys get paid well for their work.....and there are alot of crews out there, 4 to 5 man crews.  Of course these are hardy men who work in sometimes harsh conditions, but they are the magic that make all of this happen......I like this trend.
  With that thought in mind, how much is a tower in the view of Mount Hope gonna really matter. The front of CALVERY has busy gas stations and like TOD is on a very busy road.  I don't understand the 'OBSTRUCT' issue at all but I also don't know the long term fight about this property as 5 uys on a crew mounting and doing hookup to whatever powersource or connections the leased antenna needs.being new to the site. 
All I know is if the city aquired this property and is getting revenue.  One thing for sure, the money will be squandered and in a few years, will go into the fold of the General fund and the City will be broke again with no accountability.  Now that's a fact there!

AllanY2525

I'm guessing that when a new base station goes up, the antennae are
the very last part that gets installed...probably doesn't take too long to
mount an array.  If the equipment is co-located in someone else's
space then people would probably never see that part of the deployment.

There are ways to camouflage the antenna array - YSU has a base station
that kind of looks like a building - the array(s) are mostly hidden, and the
University worked it out to put a really NICE looking sign (illuminated?)
on it.

Now, this wouldn't be appropriate by a cemetery of course, but an example
of what can be done.  Maybe something could be worked out to hide the
array(s) from view?

Dogsled

I was told by a crew working on the tower behind the firestation at lockwood and Shields that the tower was owned by a .......uhhhh, a tower company and they rent antenna space to whoever wants to pay.  And looking at the top of that tower they have lots of takers.
The foreman was saying that they don't like to own the property, just rent it whenever possible.  That way maintenance, taxes and everything else that goes along with owning property is on someone else to handle.  Pretty smart business eliminating alot of time and money.
People think they're an eye sore but ride from Lake Berlin to the East side of Y-town and specifically look for towers, you're amazed at how many you count and never noticed.  The other thing is i've never seen one going up, it's like one day they're just there.....
As far as D'avignon is concerned, nobody in their right mind is going to resign from a good paying job when they have a pension vested.  Evidently the powers to be are happy with what he does, should'nt it be up to them to make him change his ways and do his job.  But there may be some backlash and people will want the politicians to change their way and start doing there jobs, and we know that's not gonna happen.     

AllanY2525

The current owners of the Parkway Tower apartments are using
the empty building as an antenna mast for AT&T cellular - to the
tune of about $60,000 a year.

Placement is perfect - nine stories above ground - and right at the
top of the hill coming up fifth avenue.   

Here is an article (bottom of post) from Wikipedia about cellular
base stations and how things work.  Distance between transceivers
depends on multiple factors, line-of-sight, frequencies being used,
etc. 

There also has to be some overlap so that your phone connection
can be handed over from site to site while your are moving around.

Someone once told me that the average max. DX for a cell phone
to connect to a tranceiver is about 3 miles....that may no longer be
true.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

Youngstownshrimp

$1000,00 per month.  You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, keep posting, we need new blood to change YukTown  8)   I believe you are correct in regards to the towers having to be in a precise location.  I do think that a radius is okay, because I understand they wanted the Torintino junk yard according to the zoning inspector.   As far as blaming D'Avignon, I knew D'Avignon for around twenty years now, ever since he was a street inspector.  Ask around, even his own peers will tell you he will knife you in the back.  I used to be his friend until he outright lied to cover his City job and butt.  I know of a good school teacher who went to jail because this bureaucrat would not speak up against the harsh treatment.
Yes, the old guard has to go, we need better.

Dogsled

Hmmmm....200 ft?  I don't know what their exact parameters are but i've seen them put towers in the strangest places when nearby there seemed to be more property. 
Look in Cornersburg, behind the Walgreens.  I think they would rather pay rent on property than own it.  A one time tower payment and you get lifetime monthly payments for every user that has an antenna (link) on it.  Do you know how many links are on one of those poles?  ALOT.   I don't know the $$$$ end of it but I do know it's a rental agreement to the land owner and the footprint needed is not acres.........So they would not have to BUY acres on the east side to stick up a tower.  I'm not a fan of any politician in office today in Y-town or any City employee. 
But, I wouldn't be quick to blame anyone for this.  New blood is needed to see us into the future....and we're still fighting old school politicians.....with no light in sight for progress...

Youngstownshrimp

Dogsled, nice information, welcome to Youngstown's debate center. :D   So are you saying once a tower site is pinpointed, say longitude and latitude, it cannot be moved say 200 ft. north, or 1000 ft. west?

Dogsled

Cell tower location is strategic.  You need to learn how locations are chosen. 
Take a ride up Rte 71 and look into the mountains, you'll see cell towers.  These are put in Straegic locations so they can read and transmit from other towers nearby, it's a link. 
Look at the concrete plant under old Division street bridge, who would have thought that was a good location for a cell tower? 

AllanY2525

Geez....how about a plat out of the 90 acres they are trying to "decommission" on the east side, or is
this area too close to the cemetery (?)

Youngstownshrimp

The City needs to offer Verizon another site!  D'Avignon holds the key to thousands of parcels on the eastside and has offered not ONE for another location for the cell tower.