News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

"Will New Verizon Tower Obstruct Mt. Hope Cemetary?"

Started by Youngstownshrimp, February 09, 2014, 07:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Finally Decarlo the zoning man returned from vacation.  On my way to see him.

Youngstownshrimp

No!  To Defacing the Historic Mt. Hope Cemetery!

Youngstownshrimp

TT, You are an expert in research, be careful , Councilman Swierz might drag you out of retirement.

Youngstownshrimp

TT, what you have done in a few seconds for free because you love your community, D'Avignon with a fat salary didn't even lift a finger to find that communities require that cell towers, although needed, be PLANNED CORRECTLY.  I asked D'Avignon, with all the vacant land surrounding this site, why in front of the cemetery?  Verizon even had to go for a zoning appeals variance because the property wasn't in code.
As many know here, our company has worked hard and invested large sums to clean the title and bring the delinquent taxes current for this historic cemetery.  And we currently are working with the community to donate the cemetary back to an entity that will correctly manage these lands.  This is why we are so insulted, all this money and hard work and then our leader carelessly allows this without a second thought.

Towntalk

Youngstownshrimp

Had a very productive past few days beating the streets of downtown Youngstown.  Infact, is was heart warming to meet old friends in the City hall after having exited the rental property business in Youngstown 15 years ago.  Pretty much I stayed away and decried what I saw happening to Youngstown in the last decade.
Again I must say I am very excited with the new leadership and industry of Youngstown.  So, what happened today?  I was very impressed with a meeting and a new idea for the cemetary, a trust.  Yes Debra Flora of the County Landbank has come up with a brilliant idea of forming a trust for this iconic cemetary.  With the minerals underneath the historic cemetary lands, this cemetary can rise to be one of the wealthiest cemetaries in the country.
TT, I believe we are now rallying the community to undo what D'Avignon allowed to happen.  I will keep the community notified on the progress we are making.  What I need your help in, is your research on the controversy of cell towers around the nation.  We need them, but intelligence must be used when placing these hugh infrastructures.  TT, I read that communities and the industry go to great lengths to conceal these monsters.  One tower was designed like a hugh cross when placed behind a church.

Towntalk

Would it be possable to get the Urban League and NAACP involved?

Youngstownshrimp

The Saga of the cell tower tarnishing the countryside look of the historic cemetery continues.
Wow!  the audacity of our leaders!  I don't know where to begin?
Yesterday I called the City for copies of the Zoning aplication and appeals, the City had no problem in providing the copies that afternoon.  The day before our company contacted our lawyers to look into this matter and I spoke with YSU's Urban studies to try to understand Youngstown's new code.
Alas!  while I was at Los Gallos DT, meeting with the Mexicans, I get a call from , guess who?..............someone I have not spoken to in over five years............someone who I have openly asked for his resignation!  The Deputy Director himself, Bill D'Avignon.  Now that just put my day in high gear.  The conversation of course was professional.  Mr. D'Avignon was concerned why he was getting phone calls from an Atty., and a councilman and why was I not talking to him.  Mr. D'Avignon, (and I know he reads these post)  I sent you emails on this matter as well as your wetland mitigation rejected project!  YOU never bothered in answering neither e-mails.
After going on and on and on about how he and the City did nothing wrong and what did I want.  I finally countered that he did not do his job as the City Planning Director and the new code even points out on the front page that the purpose of the new code was for the betterment of the public and not to devalue property.
Mr. D'Avignon clearly stated that he personally did not like the tower going up across the street from the main gate of the cemetary.  But he had no vote, I asked him, why did he not advise the board, why did he not offer alternative sites since the City Landbank owns so much non taxpaying land all over the eastside.  He said he didn't.  I asked him did he not know the sensitivity of the public concerning the Mt. Hope Cemetery and how in various public meetings in churches and Vindy articles that the public was very concerned about an oil rig tower on cemetary property in the future despite only being on site for 18 days?  And here his office does not advise or bring the issue of a permanent massive tower in front of the cemetery permanently?  He responded that he was not aware of of all this concerning the second oldest Black cemetary in Ohio.  HELLO?  is not Mr. D'Avignon the self proclaimed designer of Youngstown 2010?  Is not his position to PLAN the betterment of Youngstown?
Clearly folks, as I stated and many know in the City itself, Mr. D'Avignon IMO and with his education, is not qualified to run a Planning Department for a multi million dollar PUBLIC concern.

Rick Rowlands

I am looking through the new zoning code that Ron alerted me to today and I must say that I am LOVING IT!!!  The new code is much more favorable for us, especially the change in parking requirements for museums.  Previously it had been one space per 300 square feet.  Now it is one space per 1,000. Whereas previously I needed 13 spaces now all I need is 4, and that means that the 8 spaces in my current parking lot will suffice and I will not have to put an additional lot at the rear of the property.

The side setback requirement for Industrial Green is now 10 feet, so the addition that we plan for the south side of the building can now be 25 feet wide instead of 20.  Those five extra feet will make a huge difference.    Great news!

Youngstownshrimp

Okay, So now we have the City's new streamlined zoning enacted, zoning all property north of Wardle roughly as GREEN INDUSTRIAL and as the professionals have agreed, a very vague zoning explanation, which is in more cases, good because it allows creativity.  Now for one of the first trial runs of our new zoning and how it is implemented.  Here we have an historic cemetary that for the most part has been in management thereof , abandoned but still functioning by the community.  Historic wherein it is purported to be one of the oldest Black cemetaries in Ohio. 
The community has made it very clear that they do not want drilling on the property and horizontal drilling underneath the graves.   Herein lies the hypocrisy.  A massive cell tower and building facility is okay across the street from the main cemetary gate?  Or, was the public not completely informed or notified.
It will be interesting what T.J.Rogers who is the councilman of that ward will do.  Or, what will Verizon do, now that there maybe a protest against an industrial tower taking away the serenity of the cemetary, when there is so much vacant abandoned land all over the eastside.

Youngstownshrimp

So who are the stakeholders of the cemetary if it is not the community?

iwasthere

ytown shrimp those questions are with the mt hope cemetery stakeholders.