News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Idora Neighborhood Gardens

Started by Steve Novotny, June 15, 2010, 10:40:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john r. swierz

We have a small Community Garden on Samuel St. off of South Ave. in the S.A.A.N.D.I area. Metro Assembly of God Church received a Wean Success Grant
and chose that site.  Next year  I hope to have at least 5 more gardens located in the 7th Ward.

Jaime Hughes

This is so beautiful and inspiring to see, Steve! Thank you for posting this. Is this only on Youngstown's southside or is this in other places also? I know of quite a few places on the North/West Side that could use the same attention. :)

Steve Novotny

The YNDC held its initial neighborhood gathering at the first of several community gardens in the Idora Neighborhood on the city's south side. The gardens are being built on empty lots that formerly contained blighted and abandoned structures which were demolished or deconstructed in partnership with the City of Youngstown Community Development Agency and the NSP funds. YNDC is providing funding for the garden sites, including the cost of plants, fruit trees, and tools. The first plantings should take place in about 2 weeks.

These raised beds are built with straw bales to help hold in moisture, reducing the frequency of watering, and are filled with nutrient rich horse compost that has been aged two years.