News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

No Frack Ohio Rally

Started by ForumManager, November 28, 2011, 07:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

ForumManager

Rick, Thanks for the tip about testing now. The thumper trucks were on route 7 today. After some research I find that those that are living in areas where their water is treated can be more at risk than those with wells.  Go figure.  The chemicals used to treat the water from rivers and reservoirs  for consumption can react with the chemicals in the brine. I can post links when I find scientific articles that show  evidence of the chemical reaction.

I'd like to say that I am not against free enterprise nor necessarily against fracking.  HOWEVER, the human race has a track record of rushing into things resulting in a  negative impact on the health of its population. I remember playing with mercury beads in school and when asbestos was the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Lead was in gas and paint.  Women used to twist the paint brushes in their mouths when painting the glow in the dark clocks.  We had those clocks in our bedrooms.  The list can go on and on. The results of our naivete should be a lesson that things can look really good at first and then  later people become ill, sometimes terminally ill. When the concern is about possibly making water unsuitable for consumption, it seems that slower might be better. Instead the companies are racing each other to lay claim. Water is the most precious commodity on this planet. Without it none of us will exist.

Rick Rowlands

Isn't one of the only approved methods of disposing of brine to spread it along roads? 

About your well, I hope you are having the water tested before any drilling starts, and after drilling is completed have it tested as soon as the least sign of anything changes.  Might be the only way to win a lawsuit if your well does become contaminated.

ForumManager

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on December 01, 2011, 09:57:18 PM
Before anything can be determined regarding the dumping of brine, one must know what the composition of the brine is, what the laws say and the amount dumped.  This is why hearsay is usually regarded as inadmissable in court.

The person that told me this doesn't wish to come forward on this forum.  He gave permission to give his account.  I'm sure there is record of the police call.  Not exactly hearsay.  The creek runs through private property and into a private lake.  There is NO question as to the legality of that situation. The brine truck needs to obtain  permission from the land owner. No truck, even one with fresh water could  dump without permission.  It is trespassing.

The Warren waste water treatment facility currently accepts 100000 gallons of brine  a day  and has been  dumping into the Mahoning River.  According to the Columbus Dispatch Warren's permit will not be renewed after it expires in January and other cities will not be allowed to pass brine through their treatment plants in the future.

If random creek dumping is in fact legal what's to keep them from dumping  in our front lawns?   It certainly would cut back on the usage of weed killer along the roadway. 

Rick Rowlands

Before anything can be determined regarding the dumping of brine, one must know what the composition of the brine is, what the laws say and the amount dumped.  This is why hearsay is usually regarded as inadmissable in court.

irishbobcat

So creating short-term jobs is more important than poisoning our water and land forever by injecting
harmful and deadly toxins underground?

Fracking jobs will come and go....but living with water and land poisoned by toxins will last forever.....

Sure, folks like Shrimp will clean up by making a quick buck stealing land for fracking off of owners unaware
of the dangers...because folks like Shrimp will fail to tell owners of the potential dangers fracking causes...
Shrimp probably "forgets" in his sales pitch to inform potential land sellers of the dangers...not good for his "business interests"....

Shrimp and the rest of the pro-fracking folks will clean up on this rush to frack...but will Shrimp and the pro-fracking
folks be there to help clean up the waters poisoned by fracking chemicals?  I don't think so.....

In regards to the brine dumping....it is not neglect.....it is a way for fracking companies to try and hide the fact that brine water
is harmful....and by their dumping they expose even more innocent people to the dangers of fracking......aren't we the lucky ones?

ForumManager

It is interesting that there is not one response  to my message about a brine truck dumping in a local creek. I'd say brine dumping  falls under the "neglect" category, however intentional "neglect" is not really neglect at all, is it?

northside lurker

Quote from: ytowner on December 01, 2011, 07:43:30 PM
And please inform us how you would create jobs for our wonderful community in desperate need of jobs....

Sort of like selling your soul to the devil...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

ytowner

Quote from: Mary_Krupa on December 01, 2011, 07:41:09 PM
can't drink money
And please inform us how you would create jobs for our wonderful community in desperate need of jobs....

Mary_Krupa

Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

irishbobcat

I feel sorry for the people who do listen to Shrimp and sell their land...
and risk poisoning their water and land.....

ForumManager

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on December 01, 2011, 08:17:24 AM
How many people who are against fracking even get their water from wells?  Anyone living in Youngstown does not, Dennis does not.  I do, and we have four wells within a mile radius of my house.   Guess what, our water was bad before the gas wells, and not caused by the drilling but rather by the coal and ore deposits under me.  We drink bottled water.  Not really a big deal. 

Well I drink well water and I now live in PA. My water is near perfect aside from  being a little hard. We  use only a whole house sediment filter and a filter on the refrigerator.  The field across the street has been surveyed for drilling and we will probably see  it happen soon.  A few hundred feet from my well. I'd bet  the  aquifer we use  is under that property as well.  I lived in North Jackson years ago and our water was  20 times saltier than sea water. It literally destroyed the plumbing, washing machine and the water heater.   We were forced to pay  BIG bucks to have a cistern filled by truck every month.  Was the salt naturally occurring  due to salt springs or was it due to the NUMEROUS wells in the area?  My concern for my well is warranted. 

Also-
I asked permission of a friend to post a recent experience he had.  He saw a brine tanker dumping in to creek on Chestnut Ridge that feeds the Chestnut Ridge swimming pond. He talked to the driver and also called the police. All said that it was safe.  My question is- what makes a local patrolman an authority on whether dumping brine into creek is safe? 

Youngstownshrimp

Yes, that's what we concluded, basically unsuccessful in our free enterprise society and not worth the time for legal action.   The visitor count for this site is vary small and his postings are mostly discounted except for two or more entitled here.  His house in Struthers may have equity but not worth my time and he may go postal and start some crime spree, obviously he needs help and it is well documented here.  He is probably getting more pissed since Struthers is actively negotiating all their land for fracking, this must really keep him up at night. 

"I Love The Smell Of Fracking In The Morning!"

My posting with this title on GoMarcellusshale.com has thousands of hits last time I checked 3000 and check out the online NAT GEO , I was interviewed and quoted.  Who listens to Spisak anyway, not even his own ilk.

Rick Rowlands

EXCERPT

Fracking Up Gas, Driving Down Fuel Prices
Dec. 1, 2011 7:02 a.m.
By Joe Giesy
YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio -- In less than a decade, drivers will pay less than a dollar per gallon of gas for their vehicles. That's what Daniel Rice III, founder of Rice Energy, told the crowd when he spoke at the Youngstown Ohio Utica and Natural Gas Conference Wednesday in the Covelli Centre.

It's not the same gas motorists purchase for their cars and trucks now, but instead compressed natural gas, or CNG, made from the methane obtained from hydraulic fracturing of shale deep under the Earth's crust.

The type of gasoline automobiles use now may also lower in price, Rice said. When the cars that run on American fuel replace cars that run on foreign fuel, demand for foreign fuel will go down and so will the price per barrel.

Converting just 25% of America's passenger car fleet to natural gas fueled vehicles can have a major impact, he said.

CLICK TO WATCH comprehensive video coverage of the YOUNG Expo on the Daily BUZZ.

Rick Rowlands

Yes he does make quite a few actionable statements on a regular basis.  Too bad he doesn't have much in the way of assets.

Rick Rowlands

How many people who are against fracking even get their water from wells?  Anyone living in Youngstown does not, Dennis does not.  I do, and we have four wells within a mile radius of my house.   Guess what, our water was bad before the gas wells, and not caused by the drilling but rather by the coal and ore deposits under me.  We drink bottled water.  Not really a big deal.