News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

What Now Quiz

Started by Towntalk, July 12, 2013, 11:19:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

LOL...  you're welcome KennyJoe

kenneyjoe330

WOW Yet Again ! ! !   And Thank You Allan  :-*

AllanY2525

The attached picture is from an 1889 panoramic map of Youngstown.

Caleb B. Wick's residence is circled in red - this house was where the Butler museum is now.

Second photo is an interior shot of No. 416 Wick Ave (Henry C. Wick's residence/later East Hall for YSU)

Third image also that of Caleb B. Wick's residence.

AllanY2525

I remember seeing a few photos of the interior for No. 416 Wick Ave. just before it was torn down
by YSU.  I thing they are in the digital archives at Maag library.  The photos showed the first floor
staircase, a fireplace set into a small alcove in the front parlor and the wood paneling was unbelievably
beautiful - even though it was showing wear and tear.

search the archives for  "Wick Mansion". or "East Hall" maybe?

There was also an ar ticle in the Jambar (?) archives showing the mansion being torn down in 1972.

The Butler art museum now stands where Caleb B. Wick's second residence once stood.  He originally lived where
the Paramount/Liberty theater stood and moved to Wick Ave after the downtown became a business
district.

I've attached some more photos of the homes that once stood on Wick Ave.

Ohhh - the bridge you were referring to was the "Stone Bridge" that YSU restored in 2005 - it was part of
the driveway leading from Wick Avenue to Henry C. Wick's home, and between that house and Henry
Butler's.

The students in the photo below are actually sitting on top of the stone bridge, with Henry Butler's residence
and the Butler art museum behind them.

Towntalk

AllanY2525

Great article, Town talk...nice set of photos.  I can only imagine how many more the Historical Society has in their archives.

No. 416 Wick Ave was named "East Hall" when the university was using it, I believe...

kenneyjoe330

OH WOW - THANK YOU  :-*  Thank You - I am in your debt  :laugh:   The houses look fantastic.  I love it  :-*

Towntalk

Henry A Butler was J. G.'s son they were both very active in community affairs, and Henry owned a fine home on Wick at the site where the Maag library is today. There is a biography of H. A. in Butler's book at Vol. 3, but unfortunately this volume was not digitized so you would have to view it at the library.
I did find an interesting book about YSU that has many photos of the old mansions on Wick Avenue that you might be interested in reading.
https://oneness.scup.org/asset/53503/2-Appendix-The_Victoria_Lawns_at_YSU.pdf

AllanY2525

I have the complete set of 1928 Sanborn maps of Youngstown in the Maps section of the website.  You can look up
map pages for any street in the city.  Just use your browser's search/find function to search by street name on the main
index page.

You can probably search old Vindicator issues on Google News for that same time period to match up street
addresses (shown on the maps) with the name of the home owners.

An old city directory (Birch's are very comprehensive) for that same year would allow you to look up the owners
searching by address, also.

I think there may have been more than one Butler living on Wick Avenue.  Joseph G. was founder of the museum, right?
Henry A. wasa probably his son.

The two wick mansions were not identical, but the architecture was similar, given the time period.

Towntalk

kenneyjoe330

I went, as a Freshman, to Youngstown Collage in the fall of 1963!  I believe this was the house maybe thirty feet up Wick Avenue (up both numerically and physically) from Jones Hall.  Could it have been moved ?  ???  I sometimes consider myself old but I sure wasn't around before Jones Hall was constructed - unless I was a child at the time.  I remember the the turrets - I had a histroy class on the first floor and I sat in one of the turrents during class - it had beautiful wood double built in shutters for each window - I can not see people with that kind of money building two house that look alike next door to each other - then again I could be very wrong.  I believe there may have been another house then a large space which had a creek (?) or run off that had a small wooden bridge over it (20 feet or so ?) then the Presidents House which was a white wooden structure (to me a cross between a Colonial and maybe a Cape Cod ? Not a Dutch Colonial) - It sat about a good 50 feet from the OLD Butler - way before the South Wing was added to Butler. 
If possible could you please post the web site with the map?  I would really enjoy looking in the early 60's also - Elm Street and the other streets and homes where YSU now stands - and in "the day" before Youngstown Collage  :laugh:

AllanY2525

John C Wick's residence stood where Jones Hall is now.  It was razed in 1930 to make way for Jones
Hall - I remember seeing a historic photo of President Jones on the cleared lot.  The address of his
mansion was No. 410 Wick Ave. 

Henry C. Wick's mansion was next door, at No. 416 Wick Ave,  The  University named Henry Wick's
mansion "East Hall" while it was being used by YSU.  It was demolished in 1972.  Maag library now
stands where this mansion used to stand, as shown on modern YSU campus maps.

Henry A. Butler's residence stood at No. 444 Wick Ave, as shown on the old Sanborn maps.  The south addition
to Butler art museum now stands where this home used to stand.

The original Dana School of Music was the former residence of Charles S. Thomas, No. 616 Wick Ave.  I'm not sure
what YSU building stands on that lot now.

I have a sort of "tour" of Wick Ave around the turn of the century on my website...not all of the homes
and buildings shown on the maps are identified, but many are.  Just hover your mouse pointer over each
of the structures depicted in the map sections and a tool tip will pop up if there and any photos or info available.

If you see the tool tip, click on the map right over the structure shown on it and a popup window
will open with the photo(s) and info.

Towntalk

The Vindicator ID'd the house where Jones Hall now stands. When I moved to Youngstown in 1950, the building next to Jones Hall was Dana School of Music. There may have been another building after Dana, but the third would be the Butler Institute of Amerivan Art.

kenneyjoe330

Quote from: Towntalk on July 12, 2013, 11:19:18 AM
What building now stands where this home once stood?
Please excuse me.  I am fairly sure you are both wrong  :o  The answer to the question of "where this home once stood" would be The Magg Library.  I remember attending "Communications 101" in that BEAUTIFUL home - and another class as well.  Jones Hall was right next door  :laugh:  You KNOW that was some time ago and I could be off a house or two - but I don't believe I am wrong in this case. 

iwasthere