News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

1501 Elm Street Cleanup

Started by Rick Rowlands, November 28, 2012, 08:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

:)  I agree with you 599,095,277.908%. All I'm saying is that only a total fool would even try to walk there. A total Lulu without an ounce of common sense, but then come to think about it, there are folks in this world that haven't a single ounce of common sense.

northside lurker

I still stand by my statement; I wouldn't go walking though the lot.  You might not sink hip deep, but you could certainly lose a shoe and/or twist an ankle, etc.

The city obviously isn't concerned, or in a hurry to remove the barricades.  If they need them, they'll get them.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Only some blame fool would walk over the area at issue under these conditions. We had other cases of demolition in our immediate area in the past and no one sunk hip deep into muck and mire, and prior to demolition, people wore two paths into the area making shortcuts from the street behind us, going to do their grocery shopping at the store across the street.

If the city was so concerned, why are the baracades only on the Elm Street side while there are none on the Thornton side of the street? Remember this is a corner lot

northside lurker

It still may be slightly hazardous to walk on the site, as the fill probably hasn't had time to settle.  And now, with the melting snow and rain, the area is probably almost like quicksand.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Well all the fill is in, the area is reasonably level, the equipment is gone and has been gone for several days ....... BUT ........ yes there is a but ........ the barriers are still there and now serve no useful purpose ........ so when are they going to be removed. I take it that the land is no longer "hot", there are no safety concerns, and come spring, no doubt vegetation will start to spring up and point their heads to the sky from which comes nourishing rain and soft summer breezes.

And for the benefit of some ... no we are not going to complain to our councilman. These barriers are not a hazard so all it boils down to is that they are city property and could very well be used elsewhere. End of story.

Towntalk

The end of the saga of 1501 Elm Street.

The fill dirt has been completed, the job is done. The end of the story. Or is it? That my friends is the 150,000 dollar question.

Towntalk

The last of the building is history, and now, all that's left is to bring in fill dirt to cover what's left up.

iwasthere

nieghbors being proactive keeps the varments away.

Towntalk

You are very welcome. As I said before this is in my neighborhood, and we have struggled for years to get that building demolished, and once it's finally gone, we'll all be happy.

As a side note on our block are a number of empty lots, and the neighbors take care of them, mowing the grass and in one case, using one of them for a garden, but you'll never drive by and see a weed infested lot, or an empty house waiting to be vandalized.

iwasthere

Towntalk

:)  At exactly 9:37 am est the first truck arrived on the scene to haul away rubble.

Towntalk

They're finally back at work on the building, BUT no trucks have yet appeared to haul away the rubble, so until that happens we will not be happy campers. Oh and by the way, unlike the first effort, the work is being hosed down as the work progresses.

iwasthere

i still have th same question after i reread the previous posts. why did not sasho do his homework on this contractor when the property was marked "hot"? once again sasho showed his true imcompetence as a city project engineer.

northside lurker

I'm glad I could clear things up.  But the credit goes to Marie, the WPNA member who followed up with city officials and relayed what she was told.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

As I sit here at my desk, the remainder of 1501 is being demolished  :)  There are no trucks there yet but apparently they are waiting for completion before they haul the rubble away in the manner westsider described which makes sense.  :)

Why would anyone hired by the city to demolish a building the size of 1501 start demolition before the building was abated?  ???

I thank westsider for providing the details in his last post.