News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Butler Institute raising funds for bridge

Started by ysugrad, August 06, 2011, 01:04:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Like I said, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If we all had the same taste whether it is in music, or art, this would be a boring world.

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on June 08, 2012, 08:12:27 PM
I really don't mean to be so harsh about the artist garrot on Mahoning Avenue, but really, the artists there can't hold a candle to the masters in the Butler collection. Personally I own 6 prints that I acquired at the Butler. They are all signed limited editions.
towntalk the critics of your favorite masters used the same words that you use on the mahoning common artist.

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on June 08, 2012, 06:00:19 PM
And do what, put all those paintings in the courtyard too?
no, you can rotate the collections every yr within the gallery.

Towntalk

The photographic artisrt whose prints I own is a local lady. She had a lifetime history in photography.

I guess that thanks to my Mother and Father I have very definate views of art as well as music that may not be shared by others.

As it is even the masters had to start at the bottom before they reached the heights, but for every master there are hundreds of people who are unknown today.

northside lurker

That's why the masters are masters, and have their work exhibited in the Butler.  But that shouldn't belittle what local artists do.

Just because there are greats in every profession, doesn't mean that everyone else should just give up, because they are inferior.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

I really don't mean to be so harsh about the artist garrot on Mahoning Avenue, but really, the artists there can't hold a candle to the masters in the Butler collection. Personally I own 6 prints that I acquired at the Butler. They are all signed limited editions.

northside lurker

Quote from: Towntalk on June 08, 2012, 06:23:39 PM
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's a whole lot better than that pile of rubbish across from U Haul. It also blends in with YSU and YSU's art gallery. BTW, Butler Institute of American Art is world famous with some 20,000 works of art in its collection, and other world famous gallery's have borrowed paintings from it's collection such as:

Louvre – Paris
Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York
National Gallery of Art – Washington, DC

You can say that again.  It actually took me awhile to realize what you were talking about.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. It's a whole lot better than that pile of rubbish across from U Haul. It also blends in with YSU and YSU's art gallery. BTW, Butler Institute of American Art is world famous with some 20,000 works of art in its collection, and other world famous gallery's have borrowed paintings from it's collection such as:

Louvre – Paris
Metropolitan Museum of Art – New York
National Gallery of Art – Washington, DC

Rick Rowlands

And do what, put all those paintings in the courtyard too? 

iwasthere

Quote from: Towntalk on June 08, 2012, 11:57:58 AM
Remember, the new wing on the south side of the building is modern. My friend who works there said that it would have a lot of glass.
the new wing looks ugly. they should have kept the outside ctyd.

Towntalk

Jun 10, 2012 Through Aug 05, 2012

Joan Mitchell (1925-1992): The Last Decade (Youngstown)
Presented in conjunction with the Joan Mitchell Foundation and Cheim and Read Gallery, both of New York City, this exhibition of large paintings and lithographs showcases one of the premier artists of American Abstract Expressionism. Free programs accompany this exhibition. Call 330.743.1107, extension 123 for information. Joan Mitchell Foundation Cheim and Read

Jun 24, 2012 Through Aug 19, 2012

Annual National Juried Show: 76th National Midyear Exhibition (Youngstown)
This annual juried exhibition is open to artists over 18 years of age who reside within the United States and/or its territories. The 2012 show has been judged. To be added to the list for entry for the 77th exhibition, email library@butlerart.com or call 330.743.1107, ext. 210.

Latest Newsletter

http://www.butlerart.com/pdf/2012/Spring2012_Newsletter.pdf

Towntalk

Remember, the new wing on the south side of the building is modern. My friend who works there said that it would have a lot of glass.

iwasthere

will the bridge ruin the greek and gothic look on these bldgs.

Towntalk

That also as well as the Steel Museum and MVHS.