News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Warner Theater

Started by Jaime Hughes, March 23, 2010, 11:34:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Jaime Hughes on March 23, 2010, 11:34:42 AM
I am currently working on a project for YSU on Warner Theater & its history. If anyone feels they can contribute or has interesting information please feel free to contact me!! Thanks! 8)
jamie i bought the warner's coat of arms tapestry that hang in the theater during its hayday. bob joshua bought it with a group of items that was audition off when the power's auditorium was literally thowing things out to make room for other equipment. joshua showed a picture where the tapestry hang and explained to pat syke the auditorium's general manager the historical value of this piece but she was more interested in ridding the auditorium of "junk". so much for keeping ytown's history preserved and alive for future generation.

George Bratson

The Warner Brothers opened their Youngstown theater on May 14, 1931 with the movie "The Millionaire" which stared George Arliss. The Warner Theater was built by Harry, Jack and Albert Warner as a memorial to their brother Sam, who died in 1928. Sam had seen the future of "talking" movies and had encouraged his family in this new venture. Youngstown was chosen as the location for this theater because it was the adopted home of the Warner's. Their parents had immigrated to Youngstown, Ohio from Poland to escape the Russian terrorism of Jews. They were originally in the grocery store business on East Federal Street. Harry, Sam, Jack and Albert, four of the five sons, were early pioneers in the film industry and were the founders of Warner Brothers Pictures, Inc., one of the giants of the motion picture industry.

The Warner Theater is listed in the National Registry of Historic Places and it is now the Edward W. Powers Auditorium having a seating capacity of 2,300. Receptions, seminars, theatrical attractions, concerts, lectures and other special community events take place year-round in this facility. Its signage now reads the De Yor Performing Arts Center.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
victorian inn bed and breakfas ~ Travel and change of place impart new vigor to the mind ~

Youngstownshrimp

The Arms Museum has an abundant amount of data and artifacts.  Also, my friend David Penner's father was good friends with Jack Warner, his family donated letters to the Arms Museum.  If you want to meet Mr. Penner, send me a message.

Towntalk

My webshots site has a number of pictures of the Warner if that will help.

Jaime Hughes

I am currently working on a project for YSU on Warner Theater & its history. If anyone feels they can contribute or has interesting information please feel free to contact me!! Thanks! 8)