News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

An Idea Worth Considering

Started by kitten44505, March 08, 2005, 09:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenneyjoe330

:o WOW Thanks for all the info - Fantastic stuff  8)

sfc_oliver

Is there more than one? This is what I found.

The Avanti started life in 1962 as the Raymond Loewy designed flagship sports car of Studebaker automobile company. Despite the demise of Studebaker itself the intrinsic strengths of the Avanti have allowed it to remain at the forefront of American sports cars for more than a generation. The original Avantis were produced in the Studebaker factory in South Bend, Indiana. After periods in Canada; Youngstown, Ohio; and Villa Rica, Georgia; the manufacturing operation was transferred to Cancun, Mexico in 2006.The Avanti continued to use the original, Studebaker designed, frame until the 1987 model year when a General Motors platform was adopted. Not only did this provide a significant technical advance it also facilitated the introduction of the first Avanti convertible.In the late 1990´s Tom Kellogg, who had been a member of Loewy´s original design team that worked on the Avanti, was commissioned to design the next generation Avanti to be known as the AVX. Kellogg´s re-style brought a modern context to Loewy´s original design and subsequent changes have been both subtle and sympathetic, ensuring the cars remain unmistakably Avantis.The Avanti continued to use General Motors platforms and engines until 2004, when they were replaced by Ford units. For the 2006 model year the Company took the opportunity to use a new Ford platform and its longer wheelbase liberated extra interior space whilst at the same time offering improvements handling and ride comfort. For 2007 the changes were largely under the skin targeting comfort, convenience and overall customer satisfaction making to current cars to best Avantis to date.

http://www.avantimotors.com/avantihistory.html
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Towntalk

Avanti History
http://www.avantisource.com/history.html#kelly1

Go down to "THE KELLY YEARS"

The first four-door Luxury Touring Sedan was built in August, 1989. It used a simplified fiberglass casting process that was designed to reduce the labor content in the car. Involving a one-piece body mold, the company claimed that the man hours required to build an Avanti dropped from around 1,000 to 750. Actually, the sedan featured two processes that were new to the Avanti: carbon fiber composites and Kevlar. Carbon fiber composites were used for the roof, roof pillars, and door beams (which were formerly of steel). These composites also replaced the traditional Avanti roll bar. Kevlar was used for the floor pan, bumpers, and other high- stress components. The Luxury Touring Sedan was based on the Chevrolet Caprice, and in so doing underscored a major ongoing problem for the company, i.e, the lack of its own chassis.

The 1987-89 cars had been based on the El Camino and Monte Carlo platforms, and the system of using "borrowed" mechanicals had apparently worked well, but the Monte Carlo was taken out of production after the 1988 model run. In the end, the decision to use Chevrolet mechanicals made the company as vulnerable with respect to available componentry as it had been with Studebaker componentry-- which was why the switch to the Chevy chassis had been made in the first place. Now with the Monte Carlo out of production, the company was forced to switch to the larger Caprice. But, the Caprice was in its final year in 1990, too, and was scheduled to be superseded by another, completely re-engineered Caprice for the 1991 model year. So, the Avanti would have to be re-engineered yet again. It became a daunting problem for the company. In response, Cafaro determined (as had Blake before him) that the solution was for Avanti to assume the added burden and expense of developing its own chassis. In July, 1989, Callaway Advanced Technology, in Old Lyme, Connecticut, was hired for a reported $500,000 to handle the design and engineering. The plan was for the coupe and convertible to undergo similar redesigns for 1991. The 1991 models would have the Callaway engineered chassis, and, according to the company, would also have a front end redesign. This redesign would involve "a greater slope" to the hood, as well as front fender flaring to accommodate wider, performance tires. In July, 1989, the company also announced plans to build power boats. Meanwhile, the 1990 production schedule was supposed to have included three models: the convertible, the coupe, and the Luxury Touring Sedan. Nearly all sources claim that only sedans were actually built in 1990, although photographs of convertibles under construction have been published. It is not known how many, if any, convertibles were actually built and sold as 1990 models. In October, a visitor to the Avanti factory reported seeing a grand total of 26 cars. This included 10 Luxury Touring Sedans in various stages of construction, 13 convertibles and three coupes-- the latter all 1989 models--plus the remains of four Chevrolet Caprices.

kenneyjoe330

I always thought the Avanti was make by Studebaker (Clement -1831 - 1901 - U.S. wagon maker and pioneer automobile designer) ?  I am pretty sure the chassis could not have been as large as a Cadilace or Mone Carlo because it was a small sports type car.  Thanks for the tip on the Monday Lowellville car show - I will try to make it down there - I love looking at old cars.  :laugh: 8) ;)

AllanY2525

If I recall correctly, the "Avanti" was basically a kind of "kit car" body,
bolted down on a Cadillace (or was it a Monte Carlo ) chassis....

I guess you could call the Avanti plant a "re-manufacturing" plant...

sfc_oliver

There is a car show in Lowellville every Monday night during the summer months, As many as 200-300 cars. I've only walked over there a few times as I'm not a big antique car guy. But there have been some pleasant surprises.

And admission for spectators is free.

No need for directions, if you can find Lowellville you can find the car show.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Turnabout2

Yes there is a American Antique Car Asso. that held a show at the museum couple of years ago. It was alleged that the director misappropriated some of the clubs funds, thus the AACA has not returned to the Museum and very few car clubs are willing to work with them. There are several lawsuits filed against the museum that have not been settled at this date. They range from losing and or not retuning loaned items, to the president slandering members. It's truly a bizarre state of affairs on Mahoning Ave. :'(

kitten44505

True Avanti's certainly, as I recall there are Avanti clubs across the country. Do they have a website?

kenneyjoe330

Excuse me !  
Could the AVANTI Auto Manufacturing Plant on Youngstown's East Side be considered ? ? ?

kitten44505

Here are the web sites:

Antique Auto Club of America - Meander Chapter
http://www.aaca.org

Mahoning Valley Mustangs
http://www,mvmustangs.org

Both organizations are part of national clubs.

kitten44505

Jay:

I found two antique auto clubs with Mahoning County connections:

Mahoning Valley Mustangs - Youngstown
Antique Auto Club of America - Canfield

Between these two clubs and the Packard Museum, there is the basis for a start - Both clubs have web sites I'm sure, and will do some more research.

Mary_Krupa

I have heard rumors from a good source that the St. Patrick's Day parade is going to come back to Youngstown.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

kitten44505

Aside from the Packard Museum in Warren, I don't know if there is an organized Antique Auto Club in the area, but am sure that the museum would be willing to help organize such an event, BUT, I would want to see it held here in Youngstown.

Another MUST would be that it be a YOUNGSTOWN event and not transfered to Boardman or Canfield like other events that got their start here -- Italian Fest -- St. Patrick Parade.

I have nothing against the suburbs, but this should be uniquely Youngstown.

jay

I like your idea.  An existing antique car club would probably know how to set the event up.

kitten44505

As almost everyone knows, at one time the Mahoning Valley had four automobile manufacturing plants:

1. Youngstown
   a. Fredonia Automobile
   b. Mahoning Automobile

2. Warren
   a. Sterling Automobile
   b. Packard Automobile

Wouldn't it be great if we were to have an annual antique auto show in Youngstown at which time people with antique autos were invited to show their autos at Wick Park?

Such a show could be held for one weekend each July, and a perminant committee could be formed to oversee the show that would be made up of local car dealerships.

In the Park itself tents could be set up for people to sell vintage car parts, and food.

At the opening there could be a parade that would go down Federal to the square and up Wick Avenue to Broadway, and up Broadway to the park.

As a closer, there could be an awards banquit at Stambaugh Auditorium where prizes could be given for various catagories ... oldest car etc.