News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Suburbs to Jay Williams

Started by jay, March 23, 2007, 04:41:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggy

What I find interesting is that Bozanich and the mayor have previously, and now again, offered to buy Campbell's system - funny thing I don't remember city council ever approving it.

Campbell's water system is all they have left to build on and remain autonomous - they better weigh this one carefully.

northside lurker

Quote from: Micky on March 27, 2007, 11:41:06 PM
Will this have any effect on the JEDD?

As I understand it, (and I haven't researched the information Maggy provided above, yet)  the whole concept of a JEDD is based on the fact that parts of the surrounding suburbs use Youngstown's water system.  Employees of businesses located in the parts of the suburbs using the city's water, pay the city's income tax.  The city, then shares this additional revenue (and other benefits only the city can provide) with the township.  If the city no longer owns the water lines, then the tool for creating a JEDD dries up. (pardon the pun)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Micky

Did anyone read the Vindicator article about Aqua Ohio's request to Youngstown for purchasing or leasing the water and/or waste systems?

Will this have any effect on the JEDD?

Mary_Krupa

I wish this didn't have to become so confrontational. In a way, it is forcing the suburbs to examine all options which is a good thing.

It sure reveals all the fears that are in the minds of people in this county. Lots of hatred. This shows how difficult it is for this area to accept any kind of regionalism.

Someone made a comment, I believe on the Dems 7th and 16th Districts message board about people moving to the suburbs because they wanted to live in a township, not a city. Get real!  I bet most people don't even know the difference betweent the two. They just wanted to leave the city of Youngstown because they felt the lifestyle was better in the townships, not because they had studied types of local government and felt that living in a township better suited their needs.

Jay Williams has a point about the suburbs picking up their share of the taxes since they wouldn't be around without Youngstown and Youngstown has been picking up costs for decades. However, if it is getting this ugly, then some major diplomacy skills are badly needed.
Mary Krupa
"We the People..."

Maggy

Price Finley is a partner of Bricker & Eckler LLP and Vice-Chair of the Political  Subdivisions & Governmental Agencies industry group. He practices public finance and public law, emphasizing economic development matters.

I would advise that you find the July/August 2004, Finley's Ohio Municipal Service, which not only outlines a JEDD but also a CEDA, which is a Co-operative Economic Devlopment Agreement. The key word being co-operative.   

northside lurker

Where can information about the possible Youngstown JEDD be found?  I've seen lots of opinion, (much of it seems to be based on misinformation) but little substance.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

jay

Suburbs to Jay Williams
JEDD is DEAD

If you listen to the Ron Verb show today, you will hear what the suburbs really think about Mayor Jay Williams Joint Economic Development District proposal.