News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

QUESTION FOR RICK

Started by Towntalk, August 06, 2012, 10:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Same here Rick ... it would be fantastic. Where we lived before we moved to our present location we could near the whistles from the Campbell Works.

Kennyjoe330, you brought back fond memories about the Angelis bells. We went to Sacred Heart Church and could hear the bells each day. Saddly St. Edwards doesn't have Angelis bells, or they don't use them if they have them.

kenneyjoe330

OH WOW I love that idea.  Can you get it to do one long blast then a nice pose and then toot the time  8) 8) 8)  I lived near the old St. Matthias and remember the bells would chime the Angelis and if you were outside in the garden or hang cloths  :o you would know what time it was and of course it was time to pray  ;)  I can hear the bell at new St. Matthias today when I am outside  :)   Of course we could hear the shift change, lunch and break whistles from Republic Steel - along with the other noises  :laugh:  I sure hope you find what ever it takes  ;D

Rick Rowlands

Hopefully soon you will be hearing a shift change whistle again on a daily basis.  I'm planning to put together an automatic whistling system that would blow an air whistle located at the peak of the roof on the Tod Engine building everyday at a certain time.   The only thing yet to resolve is finding a timer that would actuate a solenoid valve at the appropriate times.   

Towntalk

There's something about train whistles late at night that bring back fond memories of my childhood. I remember the whistles of the steam trains that came through town and really miss that sound.

Rick Rowlands

Two long, one short and a long is the standard grade crossing signal.    Both CSX and NS run over the Youngstown Line that crosses Hubbard Road near you and their horns are slightly different pitch.

Towntalk

Each night (late) as I sit here working on stuff I hear train whistles and was wondering ... do different engineers have different methods for using their whistles (horns) or is there a industry standard for signaling at crossings?