News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New Firemen

Started by jay, October 13, 2008, 06:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Unfortunately, I don't have the answers to either of those questions.

I believe that fire and police officers are still being required to move into the city within 6 months of hire. I know a firefighter and a police officer who have moved in to the city within the past 2-3 months. I want to say that there are a couple appeals to the residency cases that are pending and that is why the city is still enforcing the residency requirements but don't quote me on that.

Towntalk

Dislike it as we may, the State Supreme Court struck down residency requirements and the city can not require that city employees have to live inside the city.

This leaves some questions:

1. How many city residents took the test?
2. What was their score?

Like others, I don't like the idea that cities can not require city employees to live inside the city, but until the courts rule that they can, then we have no other options.

Elmo-Ytown

Do city employees have to live within the city?

Was the hiring for this job done through the civil service process? I didn't hear anything about it until it was done.

jay

The city of Youngstown recently hired four new firemen.  I noticed that all four were from the suburbs.