News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

YFD Takes Delivery of New Fire Truck

Started by yfdgricker, October 01, 2008, 09:08:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Wow lots of questions...

Let's see #1 - Vehicles operating out of Station #14 at South and Boston - There is a converted box ambulance marked as Unit 14. I want to say it was an ex-Hubbard, Ohio FD ambulance. They don't use it much. Each of the two Arson Investigators typically go to incidents in a department issued Crown Vic. I've attached a pic of unit 14 I took on 12/13/2006.

#2 - Technical Rescue Operations Team - Yes they have been disbanded. They were having a hard time getting the necessary equipment for the team. They needed a new vehicle and lots of specialized equipment which isn't cheap. That doesn't mean that the city has lost that specialize rescue unit, Rescue Squad 33 members have quite a bit of rescue training and many of the members on the squad were also on the TROT team.

#3 - Spares - Youngstown FD has been keeping 3 spare engines in reserve in case of equipment malfunctions, routine service or a major fire. Should a large scale disaster occur, the FD will call in off duty personnel and man the 3 spare engines.

#4 - Ladder 24 - You will have a few more years to enjoy it, it is slated to be replaced in 2011 :) Ladder 24 was the last truck made by Grumman using the Aerial Cat name. The Grumman ladder truck facility was bought by KME and Austintown recived one of the first ladders under the KME name.

#5 - GIving me the Mack - I would love to have that Mack as well then I would have a matching set :) I own the sister truck to the 82 Mack. I bought the 1981 Mack MC that ran as Engine 6 (http://www.youngstownfire2.com). The 82 is in bad shape and would take even more work than the 81 has. The engine and pump are good but the body is shot. Right now I'm trying to get a location to store the 81 Mack at that is closer to Youngstown. As for it's fate, it will probably be sold to a Diesel Truck garage and have the body work removed. I know that the shop I bought the 81 off of had a guy who wanted to convert the truck to a dump truck. The chassis will probably be used for another purpose. 

#6 - Giving the trucks to other communities - There are a couple of reasons why YFD doesn't do this. Usually the trucks are so badly beat and rusted, that it would probably cost smaller communities more to get them cleaned up. Also, the 1982 Mack MC is the last open cab on the department and I guess NFPA standards say that departments have to buy closed cabs now. So I don't think another department could use it unless they refurbed it and closed in the cab. I don't know the regulations real well.

Elmo-Ytown

What will happen to the 82 Mack? Do we ever sell our old trucks to other communities that might need them?

our2cents

Quote from: yfdgricker on October 02, 2008, 11:47:15 PM
the last of the Macks in the YFD will be disposed of (1982 Mack MC).

Too bad they don't just give you the Mack for historical purposes...or at least for scrap cost.  Heck, if I had the ability to keep it, I would....but I know it takes a lot to do.

Elmo-Ytown

So, I was perusing the Youngstown Fire website, and I was wondering:

Do you have any photos of the vehicle(s) that operate out of Station 14 on South Avenue?

What happened to the Technical Operations Rescue Team, the site said they are disbanded? It looked like they specialized in all kinds of rescues, does the YFD or any surrounding community currently have any type of special rescues team?

And lastly, how many spare trucks does Youngstown keep, do we always get rid of one when we get a new one?

The new truck looks sweet! Although my fave has always been Ladder 24, I think it's the biggest I've ever seen.

yfdgricker

Yes, Engine 15 will get Engine 3's old rig when the new truck is placed in service. The 87 Dash will become part of the spare apparatus pool and sadly, the last of the Macks in the YFD will be disposed of (1982 Mack MC).

our2cents

That's awesome news Greg.  Do you happen to know if they're moving 3's existing truck to 15 to replace their 87 Dash.  Isn't the Dash there the oldest truck still on the regular duty rosters?

yfdgricker

The Youngstown Fire Department has taken delivery of a new 2008 Pierce Velocity 75 Foot Quint. The truck which contains both a ladder and a pump/water tank combo is the newest piece of apparatus in the city. The truck was manufactured by Pierce Mfg of Appleton, WI. The city received a federal grant which paid for most of the new piece of equipment. The truck although initially numbered for Station 7 on the North Side will be placed at Station 3 on the West Side. The new apparatus can be special called anywhere in the city if necessary. The truck still needs to be equipped and should be in service in a couple of weeks.