News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New York Central RR

Started by Towntalk, March 24, 2010, 01:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Here's another photo from my library of the New York Central RR.

Towntalk

Four pictures are now up on my webshots site.

Click on picture to view it full size.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ladynews500?vhost=community&start=42

Towntalk

Many thanks to the Public Library. They furnished me with pictures of the exterior of the station. The Historic Society had none.

I will be posting them on my webshots site soon in large format for better viewing.

Again my sincere thanks to the staff at the Main Branch of the library.

Towntalk

jay

A photo of the station appears on page 85 of Railroad Depots Of Northeast Ohio .  The photo was taken from the back and clearly shows the covered stairs leading down to the tracks.

Towntalk

Here is an image of the station from the Sanborn Fire Insurance Map for 1928.

According to the map, passangers exited over a bridge and down a flight of stairs to board the trains.

Towntalk

Just received an e-mail from the Historical Society telling me that they have no pictures of the station inside or out.

This is strange since I have pictures of the old Pennsylvania station and the first Erie RR depot as well as the B&O.

The New York Central station was larger than either, and I do have a picture of the NYCRR platform.

Surely out there someone has a picture.

john r. swierz

What I remember is that it was and octagon shaped bldg. with nice benches. The bldg was ground level at Wilson Ave . and Himrod. There were  2 levels of steps going down to the Platform. The Freight warehouse was where Divers City scrap yard is today.  In the late 70's the Vindy used it to house reams of paper and the place caught on fire and burned to the ground. I helped fight that fire.  Around the corner on Penn Ave were several grain silo's.

Towntalk

What I need are shots of the interior passanger waiting room pre 1950. What I understand is that it was patterned after Grand Central Station in New York.

Here's an exerpt from a Vindicator article from way back that describes it:

"Another plan called for the city to take over the New York Central passenger station which was a beautiful station whose interior was styled after New York's Grand Central Station, and as with the Union Station plan, the same track plan would have been used."

"Again, the New York Central refused to sell it's station to the city because it would have meant that it would have to move all of its offices to another location, and at that time there were several hundred people working in the building covering every aspect of railroading."

jay

Advocates for Youngstown passenger train service are meeting this afternoon.  Maybe someone in the group has a photo of this train station.

Towntalk

Do any of our railroad buffs happen to have pictures of the old New York Central Railroad Passanger Station on Wilson Avenue?