News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

History Quiz 1

Started by Towntalk, March 23, 2010, 09:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

my parents discussed history and politics at the dinner table almost everynight with my brothers and sisters that is where i learned how to dialogue with family and frds. my parents and aunts and uncle always discussed politics and history every sunday at my grandmother house during and after the sunday spaghetti dinner. i have minor in history from ysu and i carried A's amd B's thoughout my highschool yrs in history classes. i was a boys' state delegate in my junior year '77 summer. i say i more informed then educated with ohio history due to my high school taught ohio history as a mantory course in my junior high school.

Youngstownshrimp

Iwasthere, I'm impressed, you didn't shoot from the hip and you must have known because you are educated.

irishbobcat

I wonder what political promises old Tippycanoe made at his campaign stop?

A Pony Express stop in Youngstown? or aid to the Hopewell Furnance in Struthers????

woozle

Towntalk

Correct.

"The race was the climax of a much heralded political rally - an event that eclipsed for Youngstown all subsequent presidential campaigns in point of picturesqueness, excitement, partisanship and interest. It was the year when men sang "Tippecanoe and Tyler Too," and when the log cabin and hard cider were almost canonized by an almost frenzied Harrison constituency. General William Henry Harrison, accompanied by Thomas Corwin, the Whig gubernatorial candidate, and by that remarkable character, John W. Haer[?] of Zanesville, known as the "Buckeye's Blacksmith," arrived in Youngstown the day before. Now, after a night of torch-light parades and a day of speeches and singing there came this horse race, a sporting event of such interest to the rival communities of Warren and Youngstown as to almost retire to oblivion, Harrison and his guard of visiting celebrities."

Harrison was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives to finish the term of John McLean of Ohio, serving from October 8, 1816, to March 4, 1819. He was then elected to and served in the Ohio State Senate from 1819 to 1821, having lost the election for Ohio governor in 1820. In 1822 he ran for the U.S. House but lost by only 500 votes to James W. Gazlay. In 1824 he was elected to the U.S. Senate, where he served until May 20, 1828. Harrison was referred to by fellow westerners in Congress as a Buckeye, a term of endearment derived from the Ohio Buckeye tree.[18]

iwasthere

william harrison. ohio is know to be the mother of usa presedents.

Towntalk

woozle

William Howard Taft  ???

Towntalk

This quiz will require you to do your homework.

Many Presidents campaigned for office in Youngstown since its settlement, but who was the first President of the United States to campaign here?

Clue: He was from Ohio.