News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ice Skating In Mill Creek Park

Started by jay, January 31, 2010, 09:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

penguinnick

Why?Town

So are you a Youngstown Penguin or a Pittsburgh Penguin?

penguinnick

I wrote the article.  Lets get the ice-rink reopened, as the letter said this is a good time to look into this subject.  Please attend the MCP commissioners meeting on February 8 6pm at MCP Metrofarms to show support.  I've talked to 4th ward councilwoman Righetti and hopefully she will rally her ward into attending the meeting.  Hopefully the media will get involved by attending the meeting.  This is about community pride and we can get the rink reopened but for this to happen YOU NEED to get involved in the community to show that you care.  This is a grassroots effort and the park commissioners need to hear our voices.  Hope to see you on the 8th.

john r. swierz

When I was a young lad I skated in Lincoln Park, Yellow Creek Park, and on the lakes in Mill Creek Park.
   In Mill Creek they would clean of the snow of the lake that that was frozen the thickest and provide a
   fire pit .

jay

A newspaper letter to the editor about reopening the ice rink in Mill Creek Park made me recall the days of ice skating on Lake Glacier and Lake Newport.  Those were the days.  People skated on the lakes after park workers made paths by removing snow covering the ice.  Usually a large fire fueled by cut wood was used warm skaters.  Smart people brought a thermos of hot chocolate or hot coffee.

The city park system also provided ice skating areas by flooding the tennis courts at several city park playgrounds.