News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

OTR About Youngstown

Started by Towntalk, January 26, 2010, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

You also mentioned old time commercials. Unfortunately these are as rare as hens teeth so far as local sponsors are concerned so far as radio is concerned since most were hard copy read by the announcer live with perhaps some transcribed jingles.

My library does include 179 national brand commercials though. These spots were transcribed by ad agencies and sent out to local stations and the networks,

As with the old time radio shows, these commercials are now public domain.

Towntalk

If you want to sort them by day of week they aired I can give you a link to a website that carries the newspaper schedules and by using the New York Times schedules you can get the shows divided further.

Here's the site:

http://www.jjonz.us/RadioLogs/index.htm

Towntalk

When you're in town I have a pile of backup CD's that you can have or you can bring your laptop over and copy the 7.54 GB of stuff off my computer. Dialup isn't a practical way of sending out that much stuff.

The shows are split up in Show folders and then in type folders (Comedy, Mystery, Thriller, Variety etc.)

I also have a catalogue of the shows that will be helpful.

AllanY2525

TownTalk... you can FTP any shows that you think would be interesting
directly to the web site with the visitor login and password..

login:            yhbb@allthingsyoungstown.net
password:      youngstown

You would be a great museum curator, with your love of history   

;)

Towntalk

90% of the shows that I have - 1063 as of now were aired on WKBN and WFMJ and since they are in the public domane you won't need permission since the stations are not identified by call letters. I have in that 1063 shows 193 different programs, and since they are identified by network (NBC - CBS - ABC - MBS) they can easily be split by station, remembering that some shows jumped from NBC to CBS such as The Jack Benny Show, but this would be easy enough to determine.

Just remember that earily on WFMJ was affiliated with NBC Blue before the BLUE Network became ABC. When the switch was made WFMJ was strictly NBC.

WBBW was affiliated with ABC but they didn't go on the air til 1949, and I don't know just how many ABC shows they actually carried.

The old WHHH in Warren was affiliated with the Mutual Broadcasting System and carried Mutual shows.

AllanY2525

My dream would be to get old TV and radio programs from WFMJ, and WKBN,
and their permission to put them on my (not-for-profit) web site.

It'll probably never happen... but it would be rewarding to be able to make
them available to everyone.  Those old tv commercials are a scream, and I
love the radio dramas... with a good plot and some decent foley artists,
they didn't need a cathode ray tube to make their programs entertaining.....

:)

Towntalk

As I build up my library of old radio programs (1044 as of this morning not counting the hundreds of WW2 news coverage) I stumble on these gems and can't guintee that I will find others with a local connection, but when I do I will most certainly share them with others here.

I do know that a number of shows originated at either WKBN or WFMJ when they were appearing here in Youngstown, but as yet need to know which they were and when they were here.

AllanY2525

TownTalk - Thank you for pointing us to this radio show... I put it up on the web site
today... keep 'em coming!

Now, [tongue-in-cheek] I wasn't even aware of my work in social justice...

LOL

:)

woozle

Towntalk

Thanks.

For those not old enough to have lived here then, the crooks hideout was a reference to the old Jungle Inn.

Whoever wrote the script really did his homework where Edward J. Allan was concerned.

I've noticed on EBay over the years that there were a number of Detective magazines that had mystery stories based in Youngstown that referred to Allan who had become nationally known for his work against the mobsters.

iwasthere

i enjoyed listening to the radio show.