News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Misses Opportunity To Save Residents Money

Started by jay, February 18, 2016, 06:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Quote from: iwasthere on February 18, 2016, 05:11:52 PM
Problem I see is what happens when tenants moving out put 100 bags or junk out and leave.  Then what?  They'll dump the bin and leave the rest.  City can't make the homeowner pay for it, it's been put on public property so it's technically then dumping by the former tenant.  I see this as creating an issue of public dumping to start in all of the vacant and wooded areas.  Then is the city going to pay workers to clean it up?  Putting a limit on trash pickup is the worst idea ever in an already depressed area.

Does the city have "special pickup" appointments available?  We're allowed to have 2 special pickups a year
and the trash people will take just about anything, ie: furniture, heavy appliances, an entire household
worth of stuff ("move outs"), etc.  There is no extra charge for the special pickup appointments.

jay

For what it's worth, the trash carts will have serial numbers.  There's also talk of having each cart equipped with some type of chip.

Here's more about the RFID chip system.
www.toter.com/custom-service-solutions/rfid-cart-management

our2cents

Oh and "But those whose receptacles are stolen could purchase replacements for $30."

If it disappears, I'm not paying to replace it...I didn't want it in the first place!  This is also another thing they did in Cleveland...

our2cents

"Extra bins can be purchased for $50. In addition to the garbage that can fit in the receptacles, city garbage customers will be permitted to have two other items – such as a couple of garbage bags or an old couch – put out with their trash for collection each week, said Charles Shasho, deputy director of public works. - See more at: http://www.vindy.com/news/2016/feb/18/youngstown-council-oks-purchase-of-trash/#sthash.fFoiQDtR.dpuf"

Problem I see is what happens when tenants moving out put 100 bags or junk out and leave.  Then what?  They'll dump the bin and leave the rest.  City can't make the homeowner pay for it, it's been put on public property so it's technically then dumping by the former tenant.  I see this as creating an issue of public dumping to start in all of the vacant and wooded areas.  Then is the city going to pay workers to clean it up?  Putting a limit on trash pickup is the worst idea ever in an already depressed area.

Like I said in the other post about this, just like Cleveland did, more changes will be coming...more fees per extra item they have to pickup etc.  The same thing happened up there.  dumb idea

iwasthere

I agree. Majority of my trash is recycled or composted.

jay

The City of Youngstown just purchased trash carts and is taking bids for trash service.

What's missing?  The city did not offer the option of a "pay as you throw" system.  Under a "pay as you throw" system, participating homeowners would only pay for each specially marked trash bag.  If the bags were sold for $2 per bag and a homeowner used one bag per week, the homeowner would pay only $2 per week for trash service.  Those living alone and those who do not generate much trash might only want to place a trash bag out every few weeks and thus save themselves more money.