News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City To Spend Over One Million Dollars For Trash Carts

Started by jay, February 04, 2016, 08:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

A one-man truck picks up the trash in Youngstown right now.  A shallow trash box is located in front of the truck.  The driver rides close to ground level and just steps off the truck to throw the trash into the box.  As the box fills, a mechanism lifts it over the cab and dumps the contents into the top of the truck body where it is compacted.

Rick Rowlands

The reason why these cans are used is because it allows for the truck to pick them up and dump them without being handled by a person.   This could result in savings from going to 1 man per truck instead of two, and could result in running the routes faster.  Over time the personnel and time savings could make the purchase of the cans a good investment over the old way of manhandling garbage.

https://youtu.be/z591G_PlkbQ

Why?Town

Less than 2% extra. I don't really think that's excessive. Heck, I bet they run out of them due to vandalism and theft before the first two years are over.

jay

Does this make sense?

The city wants to purchase 22,000 trash carts.

The city expects 21,638 users/stops in 2016.

In 2017, the city expects to have 21,314 users/stops.

Where are all the users going and why purchase way more trash carts than the city expects to need in another year?

Nicholas Serra

From what i'm gathering, you won't be able to continue using your old can. I use about 1/8th of that giant trash can a week. And I also have nowhere to put it. Also upset with the fact that residents will be encouraged to dispose of their existing cans. Seems very wasteful.

AllanY2525

Down here in Maryland, the county provides several containers for recycling
paper, metals, glass and plastic - but they don't supply general trash containers.
We either buy our own cans or just put the trash bags on the ground next to
the recycle containers.

Law and garden waste has to be bagged in paper bags - we buy our own.

The recycle bins are provided free of charge.

iwasthere

stewie

Every other city that I know uses these bins. If you lived in the suburbs and had to provide for your own garbage pick up and you called a company and they said you have to use our bin what would you do?

jay

Quote.the city's luck will be the homeless will use them for shelter under the Mahoning Ave. Bridge.....

Irishbobcat

The larger the bin, the harder it will be for seniors to haul the street......nice......the city's luck will be the homeless will use them for shelter under the Mahoning Ave. Bridge.....

iwasthere

The savings can be spent on us mahoning county residents.

our2cents

Quote from: iwasthere on February 19, 2016, 08:36:34 PM
I tested a garbage can like this by putting a political leader in it and it did the job. Can you imagine what we can do within one year of cleanup Mahoning County political mess? no more FBI probes and a huge savings for the taxpayers in the mahoningCounty.

Now that's funny in a way... 

iwasthere

I tested a garbage can like this by putting a political leader in it and it did the job. Can you imagine what we can do within one year of cleanup Mahoning County political mess? no more FBI probes and a huge savings for the taxpayers in the mahoningCounty.

jay

As we can see, a 96-gallon trash cart is quite large.

jay

Not every local trash collection company has the specialized equipment to lift these new trash carts.  As a result, fewer trash collection companies will be able to bid on the contract.  The winning bidder will probably always be one of the larger multi-state trash companies.