News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Uptown theater new owner and photos

Started by Nicholas Serra, August 19, 2015, 11:55:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Go figure. What's there that would need a parking lot?

jay

I drove past this area today.  The debris from the burned buildings has been removed and fill has been added.  I'm not sure of the composition of the cover layer but it sure looks like a parking lot already.

jay

I attended Easy Street's production of "Pump Boys" many years ago.  As I recall, there was only one set and it was on that small stage.

Towntalk

The rest of the stage would have been behind the screen. In the center behind the screen is a floor model consel of speakers that lead up to the amplifier in the projection booth. If it was set up for cinemascope there would be three and maby auxiliary speakers on the walls on either side of the auditorium.

Nicholas Serra

I also wondered about the back stage area while I was walking through. I didn't see any doors for rooms, so i'm not sure if a backstage exists.

Towntalk

I would like to see the entire stage and the back stage area. There were stage shows for several years at the Uptown which tells me that there was plenty of room, and that the fly was sufficient to have lighting and such.
Most certainly it isn't as large as Powers or the Stambaugh stage, but for small bands it would be plenty large enough.
Again, what facilities are there back stage -- ie dressing rooms. Powers has 10 dressing rooms back stage, and more under the stage.
If again the Uptown has 4, 2 left and 2 right that too would be plenty since most bands consist of no more than 6 members.
If it was also used as a comedy club, it would be perfect.
Now there comes the question of the balcony. What condition is it in? I really couldn't tell from the picture. The balcony would be a perfect spot to locate a soundboard.
One of the features of a live theater is that a screen is located at the back wall of the stage where scenes can be projected. These scenes are computer generated and the equipment is also back stage, along with a light board because the images are seen behind the performers and can not be projected from the projection booth.
If all this sounds complicated it really is but fortunately we have folks right here in Youngstown who the theater owner could call on to help him, and one of them is Boom Boom Mancini. His headquarters I believe is in the Ohio One building downtown.

Nicholas Serra

Yeah, here's a shot from the balcony showing stage size.

Towntalk

It could be a blend of live shows and movies. How large is the stage? Did you get the chance to see it?

Nicholas Serra

I'd like to see it as a music venue like they did with the Newport in Columbus

Towntalk

Again, if the new owner can get it open, it could very well be a Youngstown version of the Cedar-Lee Theatre in Cleveland and that wouldn't be a bad thing and the theatre could tie in with Boom Boom Mancini who has a film production Co. here in town. With his connections the Uptown could be able to bring in some really good Indy-pictures.

Rushblvd

Doesn't look in to bad of shape...Hope after all 8)

Towntalk

Just speaking for Youngstown, the answer is no. Even if someone were to open a theater, even on the West Side, they would struggle to get any first run movies for the simple reason that the large chains always have first crack at new movies without exception. There of course exceptions such as the theater in my hometown which is a twin theater in a town of 8000, but the advantage there is that it's near Penn State and the town itself has a branch campus of another university, but here in Youngstown we already have first run theaters in Boardman and Austintown, so film distributers would choose them to get the new movies. The best that any independent local theater could hope for would be art films by independent film producers and third run movies that have run their course at the chain theaters.

jay

Considering the conditions in most of Youngstown's neighborhoods, will any theater be successful at this point in time?

AllanY2525

Quote from: jay on August 19, 2015, 12:49:21 PM
What was the purpose of the room with the fireplace?

For many buildings of this era, it was very commonplace to have apartments on
the upper floors over the store or small business on the ground level.

I like the brick arches in the windows - would be nice if the new owner tore off
that awful looking "cage"  covering the original brick exterior underneath.  If the
owner were able to get the vacant lot next door after the demolition, he could
have some gravel or crushed rock put down for parking - it's cheap and would
do the job until he could afford to have it paved.

Youngstownshrimp

Don't just talk about it, go out and do it!!!    :)