News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

City Establishes New City Hall Security Force

Started by jay, April 26, 2011, 09:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

mayor williams wanted everyone to live in the city before his mentor kicked the bucket. i heard through the grapevine that he lives in canfield, oh on weekends while his wife and son lives there 24/7. i would like to see someone from the vindicator do an investigation on this matter. ???

northside lurker

When my aunt worked for Coca-Cola, she would only buy Coca-Cola products, and would encourage family members to do the same for family gatherings that she would be attending.  Should Coca-Cola hire someone who is unwilling to show that kind of loyalty?

Why should we expect someone, who is unwilling to even live in the city, to do a good job serving the city?

It seems like you're saying we have to choose between someone who is qualified, but doesn't care, or someone who isn't qualified, but does care.  Seems like a choice between 6 and half-a-dozen. (except that one group is living in the city, helping to keep neighborhoods stable)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Penguins37

@ jay: Are they capable and qualified to be a commissioned police Officer?  Do they have current OPOTA certification?  No offense, but you don't want to just hire any unemployed person just because they live at a certain address.

Considering the severe lack of resource the City has they need to make all efforts to hire the most qualified and efficient workforce possible; not simply settling for workers living within City limits. The City's previous residency requirements are one the primary reasons you have so many under qualified people working for the City now. You were stuck only be able to hire people that were willing to relocate to the City.  Not only is that unconstitutional; it is an idiotic use of human capital.

jay

Many of my friends living in Youngstown are currently unemployeed or underemployed.  We, the residents of Youngstown, need every job we can get.

AllanY2525

Where the officer lives shouldn't affect his performance , obviously - but  look at it
like this:

Having that officer living in Youngstown would have a positive effect on
whatever neighborhood he or she might live in....a benefit not gained by having
the officer living in the suburbs.  Officers living within the city have a stake in
the neighborhoods in which they live.

I have a county sheriff living next door to me - and yeah, it does make me
sleep just a little better at night....

Penguins37

How does a person's place of residence change the way they work?

jay

The City of Youngstown just established a new security force for city hall.  A news report stated that the force would consist of trained police officers from the city and other police departments.

I still feel the city should only hire officers who care enought to live within the city of Youngstown.