News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

An Old Ohio Bell Brochure

Started by jay, February 21, 2022, 06:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay

The brochure listed several drive-up phone locations on Belmont Avenue.

Sohio, 911 Belmont
Liberty Plaza (2), 3551 Belmont
Gemini Family Game Room, 4509 Belmont at S.R. 304

Why?Town

Thanks for that update.

I would have thought that there were at least a couple hundred drive-up payphones in the Youngstown area. Maybe there were more as time went on. I remember walking past two phone booths on my way to high school in 1979. One on each side of Churchill Rd. where Highland Ave. crosses in Girard. Some time before 1983 they were both removed and one was replaced with a drive-up payphone.

I also know there was at least two more in Girard, one at the Clark Gas station and one at McQuaids on 422. Both of those buildings are gone, the Clark Station for probably two decades or more, McQuaids only a few years ago.

By the time I was a licensed driver I also remember a couple gas stations that had two drive-up payphones each. I think they were both in or near the North Side and I bet there were more like that.

jay

The brochure listed 25 drive-up telephone locations in and around Youngstown.  It listed the business where the phone was located and gave the street address.  {example - Jays Hot Dog, 68 Boardman-Canfield Road}

The brochure had an attached post card addressed to Ohio Bell in Cleveland.   It was a request for camera-ready art to publish the phone locations in your company's newsletter.

I believe the brochure was printed in 1983.

Why?Town

Questions:

Roughly what year was this brochure? At 25 cents per call I'd guess early 80s but am probably wrong. I am pretty sure that some phones were still just a dime per call at that point.

Is the list just what cities have pay phones or does it tell us the actual location of every pay phone in each city?

That leads to this, how big and thick is that brochure?

jay

A Recent Find

I now have an old Ohio Bell brochure titled "Put a Phone in Your Salesmen's Cars For 25 Cents".

It pictures a man using a drive-up telephone from the driver's side window of his car.

The brochure also listed the Ohio Bell Drive-Up Telephone Locations in Ohio.

The list included the cities of Akron, Canton, Cleveland, Columbus, Dayton, Toledo and Youngstown.