News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

For Irishbobcat

Started by Towntalk, July 10, 2010, 01:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

If local history were added to the curriculum for Youngstown students,
perhaps it would teach some of these youngsters to take more pride
in - and show more respect for - Youngstown.

Towntalk

With your connections, perhaps you could put the idea out there. Struthers has some really good teachers, and if the other school systems saw what Struthers is doing they might jump on the bandwagon, and I'm almost certain that the Mahoning Valley Historical Society would jump at the chance to participate.

irishbobcat

I think it would be a great idea. It would be nice to have a senior level history class that
dealt with the history of the valley.

All that is needed is an interested teacher(s) to come forward and offer to review the material, set up
a course of study and ask their local or city board of education to approve the course for the curriculum.

Towntalk

Dennis:

Put on your Board of Education hat and consider this:

How many of our young people have a grasp of our local history?

Over the past couple of months I have built a library of local history books just using Google Books which means that these books are available to local schools absolutely free, so if our area Boards of Education would consider establishing local history classes for extra credit, the only expense would be the time it took to download the books, and of course the teacher.

Since the books are pdf files the teacher could print out the material she wants to use eliminating the need to print out whole books.

Examples of books available:

20th Century History of Youngstown and Mahoning County, Ohio – Sanderson
A Twentieth Century History of Trumbull County – Upton
Historical Collections of the Mahoning Valley – MVHS
History of the Western Reserve – Upton
History of Trumbull and Mahoning Counties – Williams
History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley – Butler

What's your view?