News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

FAILED PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Started by Towntalk, September 26, 2014, 07:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

NEVER FEAR ... GRANNY'S HERE ... Granny's idea of block watch!

jay

QuoteA young family will not move to the city if the schools are as bad as they are

Following this thought, it won't take long before Youngstown will not have many young families.  We will become a community of elderly residents.

Question
With open enrollment, how many students living in Youngstown go to school in the suburbs?

Peggy Gurney

~ Normal is overrated ~

Towntalk

You hit the spike square on the head Billy ... "mismanagement" is a very polite term for total incompitence on the part of the entire sorry lot at the BOE.

Billy Mumphrey

Is it just me or is the YCSD mismanaged?

northside lurker

I'd have no problem disbanding the Youngstown City School District.  But, I have to wonder how the rankings of the neighboring school districts--that would have to absorb the YCSD student body--would suffer.  Ultimately, though, dispersing the remaining YCSD kids into the neighboring districts would be for the best, though.

While there are definitely issues with YCSD administration and teaching staff, I have no doubt that, if the administration and teaching staff from, say, Canfield or Poland were switched with the YCSD admin. and teaching staff, the rankings of both districts would change little.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Peggy Gurney

I would not place my son in a Youngstown City school if THEY paid ME to let him attend.
No way.

He'll stay at Summit Academy where he is actually LEARNING.

~ Normal is overrated ~

iwasthere

can ytown diocese catholic schools allow to take state school vouchers?

PD

Unfortunately your city is only as good as your schools. Poor schools lead to lower population and let businesses eyeing this area
A young family will not move to the city if the schools are as bad as they are
I'm sick of hearing Hawthorne say the grades dont really reflect what is going on,, BS
D's and F's say enough
The parochial schools are still very well run and teach discipline, responsibility and leadership
The public schools teach self preservation and survival
Time to also scrap this board of education and superintendent and let the state take over

Towntalk

Our public schools, ar least in Youngstown and Warren are total utter FAILURES and should all be CLOSED once and for all!

http://www.vindy.com/news/2014/sep/26/enrollment-rises-for-st-time-in-years-in/