News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Shale Production Up

Started by Towntalk, May 16, 2013, 05:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Youngstownshrimp

Why are some here so disturbed and down on Fractivist in Youngstown?
Because they have played with the fundamental rights of property owners in the City of Youngstown.  Property owners from the third acre residentail lot to the dairy farmer on 616.  Wantonly attempting to take away the decission of a taxpaying landowner to trade or not to trade their minerals rights.  The audacity of the Biersdorfer type, the Green fake types, the Defend types, to make it THEIR right to decide for the taxpaying landowner in Youngstown.
This arrogance by these people I saw at the debate in the 7th ward boils any true Americans blood.  And this bent has permeated Youngstown for over thirty years now and thank God, it finally is turning full circle because productive taxpayers are returning to produce.............ENERGY.

Rick Rowlands

I know how big it is going to be!  I see it everywhere I go!   It is also why we will be including an oil and gas exhibit at the Youngstown Steel Heritage Museum.  All those people working in the industry have families, and where better to go on a Saturday than out to learn a little bit about what daddy does. 

Billy complains that the antifracking position is not being made in this thread, but since he is an antifracker why can't he fill that role?   I doubt that he would be as eloquent as our dearly departed Dennis, but maybe with a bit of practice we can come to call him Dennis Jr. 

Towntalk

That is exactly why we shouldn't tolerate the gum flappin' gaggle of activists trying to dictate to us for one single second. If they want to live in the land of Winking, Blinking and Nod, let them pack their bong pipes and move to San Francisco.

Youngstownshrimp

Talked to an energy professional today, those in the industry say us locals have no idea how big this energy boom is, no idea.

Towntalk

To be perfectly honest, I do not blame City Council one iota. If we allowed every Tom; Sam; Joe or Lulu dictate just how this city will be run, there would be total chaos. Would yow want a gaggle of East Side activists dictating things for the West Side? I say no, you wouldn't stand for it one single second, and you know it, so what makes you think that we should just sit back and allow a gaggle of activists who are totally unqualified to run this city? Council allowed them to speak their peace, and that's all they had the right to expect.

jay

I saw how city council treated citizen activists during the charter review process.  They were like a nail sticking up................council just had to hammer them down.

Towntalk

I tried e-mailing him, but he never responded.

iwasthere

can you send him  messages about your concerns. it is a beautiiful half moon tonight.

Towntalk

You could very well be right my friend. As I said, while I disagreed with him on some points, I respected his commitment to education, and his knowledge of broadcasting, and miss being able to tap into him on these two issues.

iwasthere

tt, ibc could had been told to stay away by the summit adm from blogging in any chat rms not to upset any wktl listerners that is my opinion.

Towntalk

That, my friend is a question that you will have to ask those who are opposed to shale development. The one person that fit your description chose to stop posting on mahoningvalley.info, no one chased him off, to be perfectly honest, in non related topics, I respected him. By the way, he is a member of the Struthers Board of Education ... he has a program on WKTL that is quite enjoyable, and he is very knowledgeable about radio broadcasting. And he was insturmental in keeping WKTL on the air. Oh and by the way, is an active member of the Green Party, and ran for several offices on the green Party ticket, including Governor. He is also an educator.

Billy Mumphrey

My point is that since this topic was posted, there has not been one anti-shale comment written. No anti-frackers have responded, yet it seems the anti-frackers continued to get brow-beat on this forum. When will it cease?

Towntalk

Billy, complicity is the harbinger of disaster socially, economically, spiritually and morally. You are too young to remember, but it was complicity that brought down a once proud nation and led to the death of millions of people, the victims of a reign of terror unparallel in 20th century history.

Now I do not for a single moment suggest that the FrackFree people would ever mimic that bloody era, and all I mean is that complacency on the part of the majority can lead to consequences that work to the harm of all.

Your reference to the Vietnam era does not fit here as an example for the very simple reason that the vast majority of the American people opposed that war, recalling the disaster of the Korean War. What kept the Vietnam war going for so long was complacency on the part of the silent majority, who, while opposed to the war were also opposed to the drug infested hippy movement, and the violence of the radicals here at home.

I could go through a lengthy laundry list of movements that have come and gone who's protests fit into the instant issue, but it would serve no meaningful purpose here but distract us from the real issue here before us here in the Mahoning Valley, and I do not intend to complicate matters.

For us, this is purely an economic matter that will affect the future of every man, woman and child here in the valley for generations to come, and for that reason, we will not remain silent. We are on the threshold of a bright new future, that just five years ago we dared not hope for, and no one can be allowed to stand in the way.

At the height of the steel industry in Youngstown for example we had one of the best public school systems in the state, and our college's school of engineering was on the cutting edge of technology.

While YSU is still great and becoming even greater, our public school system is a mere shadow of it's former self, not because of the teachers, who are being handicapped by funding problems which prevent them from using many of today's cutting edge tools that will prepare their students for entry into the future.

This is our opportunity to turn the corner for the sake of our children, and our children's children to give them real hope for a better life.

Billy Mumphrey

Why must every post about shale still have to blast the anti-frackers? Their charter amendment was defeated and oil/gas fracking will go foward. Why continue to beat a dead horse? Is there some pleasure people receive on this forum by continuing the attacks? Oh, the other hippie movement that was successful was the anti-war movement of the 60's. It helped get us out of a meaningless useless war in Vietnam. That I am grateful for.

Towntalk

"Power to the people!" they screech waving their clenched fists in the air, "power to the people!" But what has it gotten them? What has it ever gotten them? I've seen many hippy type groups come and go in my lifetime, all preaching the same message ... one group starts up, gets it's 15 minutes of fame, then fizzles out like a wet fire cracker, another group sets up shop, and ditto. In point of fact the only group that succeeded in bringing about real meaningful change was the Civil Rights movement, the rest ... nothing ... "free speech" ... "free love" ... the list is endless, and people of this mindset will always be around challenging social norms, and in the end, like all the movements that came before them, they too will fizzle out and be forgotten.

In the instent case before us, what we have are a band of pennyless dissatisfied people who think that they are the saviours of mankind, and go about waving signs, doing their marches and trying to impress us with their infinite knowledge, but we're not buying it. The vast silent majority ultimately relegates these discontents to the ash heap of history, and that is as it should be.