News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Two Homicides In Youngstown Today

Started by jay, May 23, 2009, 09:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

connie254

My parents instilled learning and school. My father went to 11th grade and had to quit to support his family. He never stopped learning, just not in school. My mother quit in 8th grade. After I was in 2nd grade, she didn't understand  any of my homework. My father didn't understand "new math" but taught me more by telling me about his life and what he learned. After 6th grade, I was really on my own as far as schoolwork. But they demanded that we would go to college and have skills to get a decent job. So did many of my classmates from Taft Elementary. Demanding something from the children by the parents and not allowing outside forces to interfere(gangs, drugs,partying, etc) is what will allow children to become productive adults. I love listening to Colin Powell talk, basically we had the same background growing up, just different color skin.

PMDragon

True, but only to the extent that those involved in the setting allow it to interfere with learning. Both of my own children acheived well and received quality education right here in the city.There are many students that have and many are still acheiving success in spite of who they share a classroom with. Every building has a team of professionals providing daily interventions toward reducing class disruptions of one sort or another including compiling data/evidence needed to have the most disruptive student/s expelled or placed in alternative education programs.

northside lurker

You're absolutely right!  But student conduct can affect other students and the quality of the learning environment.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

PMDragon

I understand your rationale but am bothered by your reference to the "poor condition" of our city schools. Youngstown city schools are fine, its the families that don't support the schools and those especially that don't teach thier children the value of education  (ie: do homework, follow rules, attend regularly) and to respect those providing it.

northside lurker

Quote from: connie254 on May 25, 2009, 09:41:36 AM
It's one thing if these lawless people had good aim and just hit their intended victim.

When a bullet comes through your wall and lands on the floor, you might think differently. We were lucky and it didn't injure us.

When you hear gunfire every night, you're either in the armed forces or city limits of Youngstown.
As I said earlier, I probably wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood like that either.

QuoteWe love hearing the birds and seeing animals going through our yard...
So do I.

QuoteDon't get me wrong, Youngstown is where I grew up and lived until 2 years ago, but things must drastically change for the better before I set foot willingly anywhere but downtown.
My neighborhood is struggling because people don't want to move here. (to the city)  People sell their house cheap (often to an "investor") so they can get rid of it, or it will go into foreclosure.  This seems to be a common theme in the city, and will become more common in the suburbs if the economy doesn't recover soon.

There are currently four houses like mine for sale in my neighborhood that are directly adjacent to the park--all for less than $45k. (and as low as $8k, but I'm sure that one needs work)  I have a hard time understanding why anyone would choose the suburbs when such a good alternative is available in the city. (even if one is concerned about the poor shape of the schools, a couple of neighboring districts have open enrollment)

To get back on topic, I find the homicide map to be very informative.  There is also a map for 2007 and 2008, as well.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

connie254

It's one thing if these lawless people had good aim and just hit their intended victim.

When a bullet comes through your wall and lands on the floor, you might think differently. We were lucky and it didn't injure us.

When you hear gunfire every night, you're either in the armed forces or city limits of Youngstown.

We love hearing the birds and seeing animals going through our yard now, instead of thugs and rats.

Don't get me wrong, Youngstown is where I grew up and lived until 2 years ago, but things must drastically change for the better before I set foot willingly anywhere but downtown.

jay

These two killings were the tenth and eleventh homcides of 2009 in the city of Youngstown.
------------------------------

Someone has created a homicide map for the city of Youngstown.  It shows the location of each homicide, gives the name and age of the victim, and links to the newspaper story.

What do you think of the map?

Youngstown Homicide Map 2009
www.mapbuilder.net/users/mprelee/70263

northside lurker

I still don't think I'd have given up on the whole city.  But, I'm not in your shoes.

Regardless, thank you for your service.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

You folks the taxpayers paid me for 22 years to be ready to react to gunshots. During that 22 years I did what I was paid to do. But my wife never even saw a fist fight. And while living on the south side we called the police on a young man who fired a gun in the air near some children aged 5-8. They eventually got there and never questioned the young man about where the gun was. 2 Months latter he killed 2 people with that gun just 2 blocks away.  There was no way I would allow my wife to stay there. We moved.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

northside lurker

I can't say that I wouldn't consider changing neighborhoods if this kind of thing happened a lot on my block.  But it wouldn't chase me out of the city.
--Thomas Edison

sfc_oliver

This is why many people move out of the city. Yet my Uncle still lives on Falls Ave, Has as long as I can remember.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

jay

According to the evening TV news, two homicides took place in Youngstown today.

A man was shot and killed outside an Ayres Street home on the east side.

A woman was shot and killed in a home on Falls Avenue on the city's south side.  In this same incident, three others were shot and two are in critical condition.