News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Councilmember Wants To Raise License Fee By $5.00

Started by jay, May 25, 2012, 05:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwasthere

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on May 26, 2012, 10:58:45 PM
Well in that case I would support a $10.00 fee, IF IT IS USED ONLY FOR RESURFACING!
rr the ytown residents heard this plea before with the safety forces levy for additional firefighters and police officiers not to replace the retired firefighters or police officiers. i have no trust in the current adminstration nor the council reps.

Rick Rowlands

Well in that case I would support a $10.00 fee, IF IT IS USED ONLY FOR RESURFACING!

Why?Town

I wonder where the math comes from.

At $5 a pop it would take 40,000 registrations to get to the lower estimate of $200,000.

I believe Youngstown's population is around 65,000. Subract those that aren't old enough to drive, those that are too old to drive, those that can't afford a car, and those that prefer not to own a car and you don't have too many $5 bills left.

jay

The additional $5.00 would be used for road resurfacing.  By one estimate, the new fee would raise between two and three hundred thousand dollars.

Rick Rowlands

Did he give a reason why he wanted the increase?  Of course there was a time when Swierz was on this board and we could ask him ourselves, but I guess he no longer feels the need to communicate with his constituents.

jay

At the Thursday Safety Committee meeting of Youngstown City Council, Councilmember John R. Swierz pushed to have another $5.00 added to the license plate fee for residents of Youngstown.  Councilwoman Anne Gillam objected to the fee increase.