News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

New equipment

Started by Towntalk, February 27, 2009, 11:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john r. swierz

First let me further inform you on Shot Spotter.  It will I.D the location of gun shots within 10' of the shots fired and report it within 5 seconds.  Congressman Ryan has secured $530K for Y-town.  I believe  that at first we will start with  2-3 miles with the areas I.D'd by the Police Dept.  In a square mile there will need to be 12-15 monitoring devices  placed,  so the first 2 miles will be paid for from federal funds, the 3rd mile could be paid from CBDG funds.

How many police officers could be hired  with $ 250K?  With salaries + benefits + O.T Maybe 6 new hires.
  In a review of most of cities where this system is in place it has reduced the homicides and the gun fire.

Why?Town

$250,000.00 per square mile?!?!  Just to listen for a gunshot happening? No video? no one around to actually apprehend the perpertraitor?

How many officers could hit the street for that amount? I bet officers cover more than one square mile.

How many square miles NEED done?

Where is this company located? (A quick Google points to California)

Buy Youngstown! Hire local (police) and keep OUR money here.

john r. swierz

As one of several city officials that had a chance to see Shot Spotters in action, the demonstration showed how it can include or exclude any sounds( even if they are similar in sound).  It covers one square mile at a cost of $ 250K per mile.  At that time the Mayor stated that he would dedicate one cruiser per shift to cover those areas.

rusty river

What about things that sound like gunshots? Like a car backfiring? Or fireworks?

Rick Rowlands

What good will that do when nobody will investigate the gunshots? 

Towntalk

YPD will be getting new divices that will pinpoint gun shots within seconds after they are fired according to Channel 33 news tonight.