News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

No. 7 Station

Started by Towntalk, July 25, 2010, 11:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Jay, what do they do the rest of the week and in the months that that market is not there? When they go shopping it's for meals for that day. I see them going shopping every day, and I quite understand why. Again, I have to agree with 2cents ... it's not realistic ... the choices of meals are limited ... and what if they are out on a run when the meals are delivered?

Towntalk

There is a market very near No. 7 where they don't even need to take the truck out, but why don't they shop there? Price, quality and selections are why.

our2cents

That could be a potential possibility...if they were guaranteed to be in the house at the time of delivery.  And I'm sure they'd love that to a point anyways...but it's unrealistic.  I know when we did happen to have someone bring in prep for the day, it was usually chili, stew, etc, items...that we could crock pot for the day in case we couldn't be there.  But, it's kind of the wrong time of year to be making hot stuff like that with our current weather.

jay

This downtown Youngstown business delivers food to your home/business (or fire station).

www.ugottaeat.com

our2cents

Quote from: yfdgricker on July 26, 2010, 11:51:47 PM
Most likely, the crews who went to the Sparkles on Gypsy will go to the West Side Sparkles. Engine 7 frequently visits that area as the third in Engine Company to fires on that side of town.

And I'm sure the owner's and employee's at that location would be very happy to work with another company and their meal requirements.  Greg, you know more on the inside of YFD, do they also plan meals like I described in my prior post?  Or do they tend to try to plan as a company for the week?  Either way, daily or weekly, I will always be a firm believer in our safety forces having the right to stop for meals wherever they choose...at a grocery store or at a sub shop...whatever works for them.

jay

If they need fresh vegetables, they could take a very short drive (3 blocks) on Saturday to the North Side Farmers' Market on the corner of Elm Street and Illinois.

;D

The market operates from 8:30 a.m. until noon.

yfdgricker

Most likely, the crews who went to the Sparkles on Gypsy will go to the West Side Sparkles. Engine 7 frequently visits that area as the third in Engine Company to fires on that side of town.

Penguins37

Great comments 2cents.   Its nice to see someone post some sensible comments on here.  The YFD faces more dangerous situations than any other FD in the area; people shouldn't complain about petty things when these guys are risking their lives to save people.

our2cents

Quote from: jay on July 25, 2010, 09:40:31 PM
Why can't they buy groceries before they come to work?

It has always been a matter of teamwork in deciding on a meal plan for the day, who would make it, and sharing the cost.  At least that is how it was when I did my externship...we shared as a team.  And even then, the city it was in required us to leave the house as a team prepared to respond from whatever our location was.  We carried a cooler with ice when going shopping to be prepared to save the food if we had to run on a call that wasn't too long in nature.

They do not have an easy job, they are underpaid from most other city scales, they are willing to lose their lives to save ours.  WTH does it matter if they spend a few cents in diesel fuel to go to the grocery store as a team to decide on their meals for the day.

jay

I wouldn't want our fire truck to leave the city unless it was to assist a fire crew in an adjoining community.

Why can't they buy groceries before they come to work?

Rick Rowlands

Well I guess I don't understand how full time fire departments operate.  I've always lived in areas that had volunteer fire departments.

john r. swierz

Since the fire Dept has mandatory manning(minimum 3) and most of the time the crew is only 3 , they must take the truck. So to Rick, no, one crew member can't hop in their car and leave the station with only 2 crew members

Rick Rowlands

Firefighters don't have automobiles?  Kind of a waste of fuel to take a big honking truck to pick up groceries don't you think?

Towntalk

While some here may object to the men from No. 1 and 7 going to Giant Eagle or Save-A-Lot I certainly don't. They carry their radios with them so they can drop what they're doing to respond. Wouldn't the West Side Sparkle Market be out of their way?

As to the so called convience stores, these stores do not mee their needs. I got that from one of the firemen from No. 7.

john r. swierz

I believe that #1's also went there.   There are several ways to resolve the shopping issue.