News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

No. 7 Station

Started by Towntalk, July 25, 2010, 11:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForumManager

Quote from: Why?Town on August 14, 2010, 08:58:46 AM
sorry, for the quote. I meant to edit. That option seems to be missing.

Sorry I will turn  editing  back on.  I took it off temporarily because I wanted the moderators to look at another thread.  Someone's posts kept changing.

Why?Town

And why isn't there an official YFD policy that mandates they use the closest grocery story available if there isn't one in their 1st response district?

Why?Town

Quote from: Rick Rowlands on August 13, 2010, 11:40:32 PM
Whoever "forbids" the firefighters from shopping at IGA certainly should be able to tell the difference between a strike caused by the employees seeking to improve their compensation package and informational pickets brought in by a disinterested party intent on causing harm to the community.

Rick,

You know as well as I that most union members aren't really smart enough to understand something like that.

john r. swierz

It would not have come down as and official YFD policy so it must have come from the union. They  have used Sav-a-Lot  on occasion.

Rick Rowlands

Is it the official Youngstown policy that the fire department do not cross picket lines?  Or is that the stance of the firefighters' union?

Do you happen to know that due to that union's picketing Hubbard no longer has competition in the grocery business? Shop and Save on North Main Street is the only game in town now and the UFCW union has now left town and have not made any investment in Hubbard. Their entire intent was to cause economic harm to Hubbard.  Is it the Fire Department's policy to cause economic harm to Youngstown by supporting the UFCW pickets?

Whoever "forbids" the firefighters from shopping at IGA certainly should be able to tell the difference between a strike caused by the employees seeking to improve their compensation package and informational pickets brought in by a disinterested party intent on causing harm to the community.

Why?Town

Who has forbidden the firefighters from shopping at IGA?

jay

Why not the Save-A-Lot Food Store on South Avenue in Youngstown?

john r. swierz

The crews at No # 9's  are forbidden to go to the IGA because of the union picketing so they now go to the Sparkle Market on South Ave. This is about a 1/4 mile from the city limits but is near a large part of their 1st in district.

yfdgricker

Station 9 on Midlothian is kind of a special case. It is the only station that is on the edge of the city. They go to the IGA on Yo-Poland Road because is it directly adjacent to their 1st in response area. If they are there and get a call, they would only have to cross the street to be in their response area. I'm not sure where the nearest store would be if they had to stay in the city, west side maybe?

Elmo-Ytown

As I recall the fire fighters from Station 9 shop, or at least used to shop, at IGA on Youngstown-Poland road. This is technically in Struthers. Are there other border stores that our public servants can use to widen their shopping base?

yfdgricker

The firefighters usually plan meals that morning and get groceries for the day or for the next couple of shifts they work. Each shift works 24hours on and 48 off and each shift pays out of their own pocket for their food. Part of the reason for going to the local supermarket with the truck is to be visible to the community. When the firefighters take the truck to the local store, they are supporting the local businesses and I have seen many people bring their child over to see the truck while 2 of the guys are in doing the shopping. The driver always stays with the truck in case they get a run. If they get a call, the driver picks the guys up and away they go. A truck is not placed out of service because they are getting food. That too is why they can't go outside of the city limits to get supplies.

Usually the meals are something that can be stopped and restarted should an alarm come in. Some of the usual dishes are chili dogs, meatloaf, cold cut sandwiches and things like that. There is no "we are not available because we are eating dinner" clause. The alarm drops and you go, period. If you are cooking dinner, eating or taking a crap and that bell goes off, your out of that station in less than 2 minutes.

There is no Fire Department auxiliary but Red Cross will bring a rehab unit and refreshments to large fires anywhere anytime. I know and have seen many people helping to provide food to firefighters in times of need. I would drop my camera and help in an instant if they needed anything.

P.S. I will say that many of the firefighters know how to cook. I use to hate chili dogs but man they make some mean dogs over at Station 2! :)

Towntalk

Oh, come on Jay ... give us a break. Doughnuts once in a while? That's suppose to feed the men and women in the Fire Department?

I support our Fire Fighters 100% and your arguments fall flat. When was the last time you brought these brave men and women a thank you treat?

You simply don't uderstand what others have been saying in support of YFD, and you won't respond to the rebuttles to your arguments, and I must ask why, not that I expect a response.

jay

I've heard about a man who brings (or used to) donuts several times a week to the fire station on Midlothian in the Brownlee Woods area.

Rick Rowlands

Isn't there a Fire Dept. Auxiliary that can provide some of this type of support to the firefighters?  Perhaps retired firefighters, fire "buffs" or just good samaritans (Hey maybe here is something useful that Jay can do!) could do some of this running around when the firefighters are on the scene and can't get away. 

our2cents

A prime example of unrealistic delivery is right now, E2 I believe is stuck at a pole down waiting on all utilities....and they have been for quite a while.  They are not having the chance to eat their lunch.  I would hate to disrespect those firefighters in some way by saying they can't go get their food for the day.  Hopefully their lunch is like what we used to do...a Linner...so it could be eaten either now or a later...and hopefully they have drinks available while they are waiting also.  Either way, I will stand by allowing the "waste" of a few dollars in diesel to feed those men and women that are busting their rears at times.