News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Paramount Theater Building

Started by jay, May 20, 2010, 02:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northside lurker

I think the theater had steel lathe.  But I was referring to a piece of fallen molding with the burlap/canvas (whatever the reinforcing material was...) still attached.  It was something like an "egg and dart" molding.  The plaster was thin, which meant the detail couldn't be very deep.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

AllanY2525

The plaster may have been only one coat work, or two coat.

One coat work is considered inferior, and suitable for something
like an outbuilding or a utility room, where it would not be seen
much.

Two coat work was considered acceptable for upstairs rooms
in a residence, etc where there was limited traffic.

Three coat work was considered to be the best, and preferred
type of plastering for public areas of residences, and for public
venues.

Did the theater have steel lathe, or wood?

northside lurker

When I went in, a coworker went in with me.  After examining a piece of plaster molding that had fallen, he commented that the plaster was thinner than he was used to seeing. (I would consider him an expert on old theaters)  While this is only a single example, it might indicate that the level of finish, at least on the interior of the Paramount, wasn't top-of-the-line.

I only share this tidbit so we might know that, while maintaining a street presence is important,and the front of the building should be saved, the loss of the interior wasn't like losing a national treasure.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
--Thomas Edison

Towntalk

According to J. G. Butler's "History of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley" Vol. 2, pg. 146, Christopher Deibel organized a corporation that purchased the Excelsior Block, had it torn down and the Liberty Theater was built on the location in 1918. He also owned the Dome theater located a couple of doors up West Federal Street.

The original seating capacity for the Liberty was 1,800 and when it was first built, it was one of the most beautiful theaters of its size in the United States according to Butler, but I suspect that was an exaggeration on his part.

Jaime Hughes

I also believe that the basement of the building is not just a usual basement. Is this portion salvagable also? I know that during the prohibition era, they used the basement as a bar and I believe there were shops down there also. If this building could be made into an outdoor theatre, is there anyway to save the basement and use that to tie into the theatre? I think it would be such a crazy/creative idea to have something going on in the basement also as well above.   Just a thought :)

Lynds

Towntalk

And while your at it, sandblast the walls to spruce them up, get rid if the so-called murals, and that marque frame, and the painted over glass in the windows. ( In other words a total makeover so that it has street appeal.)

It would also be helpful if some craftsman could reproduce the lamps that were on the the building. here were 5 of them. At the top were 5 vases when it was the Liberty Theater.

Rick Rowlands

Hazel Street walking corridor?  I'm in excellent health and I would not walk from downtown up Hazel Street to YSU if I could avoid it.  Thats a heck of a climb.

I think the open area is a great idea. Keep the facade, but the rest of the building has to go. 

Lynds

@ Allen

I know the Regional Chamber is spearheading a few projects like that, they just had some investors in from a large company a few weeks ago. check out there relocation services here: http://regionalchamber.com/CommunitySupport/RelocationServices.aspx

Lynds

Quote from: westsider on May 25, 2010, 03:01:09 PM
I'm posting this because the Ohio One Corp. didn't have possession of the building for a number of years while most of the deterioration happened.  And, Lou Frangos seems to have inherited the building from Paul Warshauer after Paul skipped town.

I agree, I think Rich Mills and Ohio One has done wonderful things Downtown, just ate lunch at The End of the Tunnel today! he is one of Downtowns strongest allies.

AllanY2525

Perhaps the city could start a campaign to actively court new
investors to buy these buildings from the Frangos croup and
do something with them?

The downtown is slowly coming back to life - at some point, it
will reach the critical mass required to attract new investors.
When Hazel street extension is completed, it will create an
open walking corridor between the university and the downtown
area.

If the business incubator continues to grow, they will need more
office space - perhaps the city could work in partnership with the
YBI to try and get future businesses spawned in the incubator
to setup shop in some of these buildings?

Just some ideas - I am no economic expert.

northside lurker

So that all parties aren't treated unfairly, here is an old Vindy article giving a little more history behind the Paramount's ownership:
http://www.vindy.com/news/2006/may/03/paramount-theater-buyer-visualizes-performing-arts/

I'm posting this because the Ohio One Corp. didn't have posession of the building for a number of years while most of the deterioration happened.  And, Lou Frangos seems to have inherited the building from Paul Warshauer after Paul skipped town.
--Thomas Edison

Lynds

Iwasthere, I would love to head up some type of campaign to try to save this building...I will see if I can find out whats going on with it to date... I am almost 100% positive the west wall will be coming down before the end of the summer, the facade will stay and there are talks of turning the remaining structure into an outdoor  amphitheater

Lynds

when you say City leaders are you referring to Council? MOST of the members have only been in one term, they were elected to office around the time Frangos bought the building and are now going into their second term.

a few years ago after the closing of the Bean Counter (sign of the cross) I looked into this pretty deep. My personal opinion is that: The City of Youngstown hit a point were financially they could not take ownership of all these historic Downtown buildings (most of which were \vacant from the early 80's) Frangos came in during a buyers market and bought them all up...what was the City to do, stop him? the current building owners not sell these crumbling buildings? ( Ohio One bought the Paramount in 1985 for 26k) for not doing anything with it they were able to sell a deplorable building for upwards of 80k.
Now that things are beginning to swing our way we are in a situation where most of these buildings (with the exception of the Reality) are in such conditions that it will take upwards of 5 million to repair them...how do you light a fire under someone to spend 5 million?