News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Foot Traffic

Started by jay, March 13, 2010, 06:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

Traffic counting for vehicles is pretty much a no-brainer.  The basic method involves
running a rubber hose across the road, which is connected to a device that counts
the air pulses created when a vehicle runs over the hose.

Some kind of calculation has to to be done of course, as cars have two axles and
trucks often have multiple axles... but I don't know what the exact method is.There
are probably probably more hi-tech gadgets to do this now, but I still see these setups
down here in MD occasionally so they must not be obsolete yet.

Counting pedestrian traffic might be a bit trickier - I don't think I've ever seen an
outdoor device for doing this but it probably wouldn't be something that people walk
on top of, probably something along the lines of a motion sensor, infra-red, etc to
detect passers-by.... maybe a wireless link to a computer nearby, which could compile
the data for each sensor.

jay

I've heard of traffic counts to automobiles.  Has anyone ever compiled a foot traffic count for the sidewalks in downtown Youngstown?  The information would be useful in marketing downtown properties.