News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Dig Out Those Fire Hydrants

Started by jay, February 06, 2010, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllanY2525

I would tend to believe that the Y.F.D. maintains maps showing the
locations of all the fire hydrants in their jurisdiction - which means
that finding them really wouldn't be all that difficult, even if they
were covered with snow.

Plowing the roadways takes a much higher priority in my book - because
a fire hydrant is useless when the fire truck cannot get to the burning
building because the street has not yet been plowed.....

Towntalk

A YFD truck came up our street and cleared the show from around the hydrants.

Rick Rowlands

Jay, leader of the fire hydrant patrol!

jay

I noticed this evening that some of the snow was finally removed from around the hydrant.  It took over three days.

our2cents

HA.  That's funny.  We dug one out and it was  buried again by a plow.  The other night I heard what I think was 3 tell the next company in to grab an earlier open hydrant as they couldn't find one.  It turned out to ultimately not be needed, but still...people don't think about it unless they're told to do it.  Some of the suburbs of Cleveland have put tall reflective poles on the hydrants in order to find them.  And at least 1 of them has a command truck with a plow in case it's needed.  Of course, this is the east side snow belt area.

yfdgricker

Jay, you like picking on the guys at 15's don't you? Keep it up and I'll have a coffee table book I can title "The snow covered fire hydrant of Station 15" :)

I'm waiting to dig mine out till the plow goes up the street. Which should be about March if my logic is right! :)

jay

Bad Example

jay

Don't Forget!

Dig Out The Fire Hydrants
On Your Street