News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Ohio Now Lags Behind Pennsylvania in Wind Energy Use

Started by irishbobcat, January 29, 2010, 07:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Rowlands

I actually find this board somewhat entertaining.  I just can't wait to read Dennis's latest regurgitated news releases, or iwasthere's punctuation and capitalization deficient opinions.  Visiting this board helps me vent my frustrations by refuting the downright BS that is posted here everyday. 

Youngstownshrimp

Rick Man, you have been posting here for several years?   Wow, rocks don't live that long.  How can you keep sane in this world of do nothings?  I have been only on for a few months and can see that not many here want honest debate.  The ones who are not afraid to reveal themselves throw mud to dilute the issue and the ones who hide behind stupid names act like their pathetic lives are an authority in intellect.

Rick Rowlands

OK, I now think iwasthere has irishbobcat beat in the dense department. You display a total ignorance of conservative philosophy and you compound that ignorance every time you attempt to assert what it is that a conservative wants or believes in.  After years and years attempting on this board to educate the both of you, you continue to keep your minds not only closed but turned off as well. You have NEVER thought outside of your liberal box, and you would never consider a conservative solution to any problem.  So don't give me that line of BS!

iwasthere

Quote from: Dan Moadus on January 30, 2010, 03:53:07 PM
You overlooked something yourself. In the development of all the inventions you named, taxpayers weren't asked to pay for their development like they are with wind and solar power. Look how far the automobile came from its origin. Many many times development changes had to be made, but we didn't pay for them through our taxes.
dan my point was that you would still want people to live in the horse and buggy days. you are not the person for the future of this country that USA needs at this time and no other time in the future. you are not the a person that can think outside of the box for future development of this great country.

Rick Rowlands

You are so dense, and you completely miss my point yet again.

irishbobcat

Rick, Rick, the pollution man, if it dirtys the sky and eye, then he is a fan!!!!

Rick Rowlands

Look at how Pennsylvania taxpayers have been hosed! 
$193,000 for turbines to "get people thinking" about wind energy? No, no they aren't there to actually do anything but get people to think how wasteful their government is.

school districts producing 1.8 KW of electricity? Thats the equivalent of 18 100 watt bulbs.  My little honda generator can power 30 light bulbs and I can run it on gas for 100 years on what the govt. probably spent putting up those turbines.

Do you really need a grant to install an anemometer?  Can't anyone pay for anything themselves anymore?

These bright ideas were brought to you by a state that just laid off thousands of workers and can't afford to maintain their infrastructure.   Yet they have enough money to piss away on these BS projects.

irishbobcat

Dan, with your anti-tax theme, you and Kasich will provide no services of government to the people. Government is not supposed to make a profit......If you want to create big business, become a corporate CEO or CFO.....not a congressman......

Dan Moadus

You overlooked something yourself. In the development of all the inventions you named, taxpayers weren't asked to pay for their development like they are with wind and solar power. Look how far the automobile came from its origin. Many many times development changes had to be made, but we didn't pay for them through our taxes.

iwasthere

Quote from: Dan Moadus on January 30, 2010, 10:18:33 AM
Dennis,
Forward thinking Minnesota installed eleven $300,000 wind turbines with special lubricants for cold weather, but found out it doesn't work. The turbines are frozen solid and won't spin.........But hey! Who needs electricity in the winter. Read about it here:  http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1390565.shtml?cat=1
dan once again you forgot to give the entire story the said city has other options they are going to follow through to make this piece of equipment work for their city. there was a snapfu in the design and the city manager is going to correct the problem while the state is going after the manufacturer of this windmill to correct its snapfu. dan remember in the beginning of the inventions of the wheel, boats, trains, planes and automobiles they had problems in their designs. would you say the samething about them as you are saying about alternative energies products?

irishbobcat

Dan, funny, the wind turbines work at Berlin Center Western Reserve High School this winter!

sit and spin on that one!

Dan Moadus

Dennis,
Forward thinking Minnesota installed eleven $300,000 wind turbines with special lubricants for cold weather, but found out it doesn't work. The turbines are frozen solid and won't spin.........But hey! Who needs electricity in the winter. Read about it here:  http://kstp.com/news/stories/S1390565.shtml?cat=1

irishbobcat

Ohio Now Lags Behind Pennsylvania in Wind Energy Use

More and more states are working towards bringing renewable energy and manufacturing jobs to their people. Pennsylvania is the latest example.

While Ted Strickland is out campaigning with Bill Clinton ,The Rendell administration has made alternative energy sources a priority, including industrial wind turbines. Pennsylvania has made the following tangible progress toward wind energy.

Some examples:

--In 2006, Gov. Ed Rendell's Energy Development Authority awarded a $193,000 grant to Arizona-based Southwest Windpower to place 15 small wind turbines in highly visible locations across the state to get people thinking about alternative energy sources for their homes and businesses.

--By 2007, school districts in Monroe and Pike counties were using 35-foot wind turbines and generating 1.8 kilowatts of electricity. Estimates are that the school buildings' energy bills were cut by 5 percent to 10 percent.

--Also that year, Prince Gallitzin State Park near Patton in Cambria County received a 120-foot tall turbine, funded through the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. The system has been generating electricity for the park office, and has been used for educational programs to spur interest in wind energy.

--Under a state grant, St. Francis University's Renewable Energy Center in Loretto is using an anemometer to take wind measurements, factoring in that wind blows stronger the higher the tower and other considerations.

--Small wind turbine systems also were built at Yellow Creek State Park in Indiana County, and at Promised Land, Pymatuning, Presque Isle and Tuscarora state parks.

In that sense Pennsylvania is in the forefront of alternative energy with wind farms and solar farms.