News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

December 7th

Started by Towntalk, December 06, 2009, 01:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfc_oliver

My Uncle Harry landed at Normandy on D Day, some of you older folks may have bought a car from him on Wick Ave many years ago.
<<<)) Sergeant First Class,  US Army, Retired((>>>

Youngstownshrimp

Yes, I have done the research twenty years ago and uncovered a wealth of family history here in Ohio.  The missing data is the years prior to and WWII, my father was disturbed in his life because of the brutality of war.  My grandfather till this day has no grave known of.  The branch of my Ohioan family goes back to when Mckinley took the Philippines and my grandfather was a colonial American administering a foreign land.  He fought under Eisenhower, MacArthur and Pershing.  Many today do not know the history of how these great Generals got their first taste of war in the Philippines.

Many here missread me as pushy and antagonistic, growing up in Asia as an American, from a young age I had to defend our great country when questioned.  The sad thing is that as the first generation to return to Ohio our homeland, I feel angry how we have let our wealth go.  This is why I rally everyday to regain the prosperity we once had.

Towntalk

If you go to ancestry.com you'd be amazed at the wealth of information that you can get. Its a subscription site but well worth it.

It's amazing the amount of information that they have.

http://www.ancestry.com/?o_xid=36193&o_lid=36193

Youngstownshrimp

My grandfather was killed in a concentration camp, I wonder what he was like?  Am I a little like him?  Like me, did he live everyday like he was dying?

Towntalk

In my personal library, I have 7 cds full of actual news broadcasts - NBC Red; NBC Blue; CBS; MBS; BBC; and broadcasts from Nazi Germany covering the WW II years and was struck by the way war news was covered then compared with the way its covered today.

To be sure correspondents reports were censored but you didn't hear the state side anchors trying to tell the generals and President how to or not to run the war.

Certain fact were kept from the public such as the death toll but in the local papers hometown soldiers deaths were reported.

Another interesting fact that there was no effort to be politically correct when it came to Germans or Japanese.

Again, there was no reference to alien inturnment pro or con.

America was united to win the war.

AllanY2525

It was a horrible day that no one should ever forget... but isn't it ironic that Japan turned out
to be one of our staunch allies after all those years?

Pearl Harbor should be taught in history class in school, along with the rest of WW II, etc.  The
people who lived during those times really were "The greatest generation" - they sacrificed more
than we can or ever will know....all for us.

iwasthere

TOWNTALK WHEN I WAS IN MY ELEMENTARY YEARS AND HIGH SCHOOL YEARS DEC 7TH WAS ALWAYS DISCUSSED AT HOME AND AT SCHOOL. NOW IT IS HARDLY MENTIONED IN THE YOUNGER GENERATION UNLESS THEY HAVE RELATIVIES THAT SERVED AND LIVED DURING THIS TIME. IT IS SAD BECAUSE HISTORY WILL REPEAT ITSELF IF WE DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE PAST USA HISTORY TO ALL GENERATIONS. MY MOM HAD A GOOD FRD WHOSE HUSBAND WENT DOWN IN THE ARIZONA LEAVING A YG BOY BEHIND TOO. FRAN NEVER REMARRIED NOR DID SHE GIVE UP HOPE, HOPING ROB WAS ALIVE WITH AMENSIA LIVING WITH A HAWAIIAN WOMAN. HER SON HATED THE JAPS (JAPENESE)UNTIL HIS DYING DAY. ROOSEVELT WAS RIGHT THIS DAY WILL LIVE ON TILL ENITERITY.

Towntalk

PEARL HARBOR DAY - DECEMBER 7, 1941

Tomorrow is the anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor that lead America into World War II.

This link will take you to FDR's address to Congress asking for a declaration of war given on December 8, 1941.

1941-12-08_1150_CBS_Joint_Congress_Session_-_Declaration_Of_War_Proceedings

http://www.archive.org/download/WWII_News_1941/1941-12-08_1150_CBS_Joint_Congress_Session_-_Declaration_Of_War_Proceedings.mp3

Because this link is rather long - 16m it's suggested that you right click and save it rather than try to listen to it on line.