News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Rescue 1

Started by Towntalk, November 25, 2009, 05:49:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yfdgricker

Oh yeah, BTW, the 1959 Seagrave Squad is still around in the hands of a private collector waiting to be restored. :)

yfdgricker

The truck in the photo was Youngstown's 1959 Seagrave Sedan "Detroit Style" squad. It was delivered and placed into service on December 19, 1959 at the downtown station. It had a small booster pump to put out trash cans and other small fires but nothing major. It replaced a 1937 Seagrave K squad truck which was stationed at No.4 then moved to Sta.1 when it was opened in 1956.

Now I'm not sure when the department stopped using the Seagrave "Detroit Style" squad, I'm going to go out on a limb and say around 1981 when Youngstown purchased the 1981 Mack MC which I own. It went in service at Sta.1 as Engine 1 replacing a 1970 American LaFrance Pioneer. The Pioneer ran as the squad for several years and I have a video of it with a big S33 on the front.

In 1987, the YFD decided to stick with the rescue/squad concept and bought a 1987 Pierce Dash 1250gpm / 500gal pumper for use as Squad 33 at Station No.1.

Then in 1992, the YFD bought a 1992 International S/Pierce Heavy Rescue for use as Squad 33 at Station No.1 and went back to the dedicated squad concept. It was wrecked in a MVA with a school bus on April 20, 1999 and rebuilt.

It was then traded into Pierce as part of the payment for a new Pierce Enforcer Rescue Engine which went into service on September 19, 2002.

Whew. Hope that helps! At least we covered the history of Youngstown's rescue squad 1959 to the present.

john r. swierz

Today they are using a  full Pumper that is retro fitted as a rescue squad. That allows for dual usage.
  The old Squad had a very small pump ability. In the early part of 200? there was a call to bring back a
   #1 Pump that was phased out in the '90's.

Towntalk

It has "No. 1 Squad" on the door.

Towntalk

Thanks for the informatio John.

I recall seeing that truck or one like it at No. 1 when I worked downtown.

What is YFD using today in its place?

Have a very happy Thanksgiving.

john r. swierz

Continued---- If thats not the '38 Squad then its the '56 Squad and that Squad was Squad 33 and was in use until the mid '80's and I rode that for a short time. I don't know who bought that

john r. swierz

While I'm not Greg I am someone that actually rode on that Squad. When I got on YFD in 1969 that was the spare squad.  On Mondays the newer Squad was taken o.o.s.and into the shop and any needed repair was  completed by 4PM. I believe it was 1938 truck. I'm not 100% sure but I believe Mr Dick Mills purchased it for his Mudvilee F.D.

Towntalk

Greg:

Whatever happened to this truck?