News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Road Tax By The Mile

Started by Towntalk, November 14, 2009, 12:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Towntalk

Stop and think what that would mean to farmers. All their farm equipment would have these Big Brother devices on them, and every time they run them they will be slapped with a tax ... and what about the fact that Big Brother would know where you go ... when you go. We are drawing ever closer to the sort of life that George Orwell describes in his book 1984.

This article refers to the Netherlands but you know as well as me that our government is watching what other countries are doing and when they see new ways to dig into our pockets, they soon follow.

Rick Rowlands

A vehicle that gets 15 MPG with gas at $2.50/gal. costs 17 cents per mile.  The 16 cent road tax would double the cost of operating the vehicle.  However, the road tax would have to REPLACE the current fuel tax which I think is around 50 cents per gallon if it is to gain my support. That would bring the fuel cost down to 13 cents per mile. 

I am suspicious that the government won't be able to drop all of the other vehicle related taxes to implement the road tax.  They will want it both ways and just add the road tax on.