News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Charter Schools in Youngstown

Started by jay, August 28, 2005, 08:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maggy

Jay,

It is called the Youngstown Academy of Excellence, and is located at 1408 Rigby,on the eastside.It will be taking grades K-5.

Mosaica Education, Inc. is the owner. To learn more - www.mosaicaeducation.com.

Their agent here in Ohio, like so many other companies, is CT Corp. Systems, in Cleveland.

Maggy

jay

A flyer is being circulated in the community stating that "A New Public School is Coming to Your Area."  The new school appears to be located on the east side of Youngstown and may be housed in a former Youngstown City School building.

Maggy

Jay,

I have voiced my opinion on this many times. First though, allow me to let the other poster know that those schools they listed are private parochial, not Charter schools.

The State has allowed for Charter schools and that in and of itself is a moot point. However, it concerns me that they are not bound by the same academic standards as our public schools.

More disconcerting to me, especially on a local level, is that they pull funding from the State level and many follow this up by not paying their property taxes at a county level, thereby taking monies away from the Youngstown City Schools twice.

One Charter school's property here has actually been sold to tax lien in Florida and another is tens of thousands in arrearages.

I believe we welcome them as we would any other private business, and that is what they are, but not at the cost of our City School children being literally " short changed ".

You can count this as one candidate's opinion.

Maggy Lorenzi

ytowner

ST. CHRISTINE'S
IHM
ST. JOES
ST. MATTHIAS
IMMACULATE CONCEPTION
URSULINE
MOONEY

The BEST SCHOOLS Avaliable to the kids and teens of YOUNGSTOWN. If I ran for mayor I'd encourage parents to make the investment because I'd take 95%-99% test scores and 99% grad rates over the god awful 60% of less grad rate and 70% scores on test.

jay

Have any of the candidates for mayor expressed an opinion about charter schools?