News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Downtown Parade On July 4th

Started by jay, June 29, 2008, 09:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Towntalk

Perhaps if the parade had been given advanced publicity in detail in sufficient time for groups to respond, he might have gotten better results. Heaven knows other parade committees send out advanced notices that include all the information needed. Stealth just doesn't make it.

There would have been plenty of groups that would have signed up ... schools ... Veterans groups ... political candidates to name a few.

Fourth of July without a grand parade is like Christmas without Santa and a Christmas tree.

Also, who is Rev. Monroe? I tried looking him up in the phone book and couldn't find his name or what church he pastors.

ForumManager

Towntalk

The answer is yes. All press releases must have the name and phone number of the contact person so that the information can be verified by the paper before the announcement is published.

By the same token, before there can be a street parade the organizers have to get a permit from the city, and since there is no permit, as Phil said, the request was denied.

Likewise, its quite obvious that the Vindicator did no followup, but were they informed by the parade organizers? In simple announcements, they do not usually do followups on their own, especially since this was not a paid ad.

Has anyone here called the Vindicator to inquire?

Vindicator contact person: Katie Libecco

ForumManager

QuoteNo, point of contact would be whoever is or has attempted to put this parade together.

LOL!  sorry - just giving you another headache.

When someone sends a PSA to the media don't they need to include contact info?

Defend Youngstown

No, point of contact would be whoever is or has attempted to put this parade together. There is no parade permit on file for the 4th and no one has contacted me, so I'm not certain exactly who to follow up with. I have the feeling this was a denied parade permit from YPD Traffic Division and the event information was never deleted from the Vindicator entertainment files. This has happened in more than one instance this summer.

jay

PK

The Fourth of July events list was published again in the newspaper on Tuesday, July 2.
The Youngstown Parade was still listed.

ForumManager

Quote from: Defend Youngstown on July 01, 2008, 11:35:02 AM
I wish there was a point of contact.

That person would logically be you, Phil.  Downtown Events and all that!

jay

PK

If the city has not given permission for the parade, a notice should be printed in the newspaper stating the parade will not take place.

I would hate to see people show up for a non-event.

Defend Youngstown

Thanks, Jay. Well, I'm not sure if it's canceled but I can tell you that no one here in City Hall knows anything about it. I wish there was a point of contact.

jay

PK and other Friends of Youngstown,

The information about the parade was in a section titled, Fourth Of July Activities, on page B-3 of the Sunday, June 29, 2008, newspaper. 
The parade info follows the story about the Downtown Dash.

Please let us know if the parade has been cancelled so we can remove the information from the Forum Calendar.

Defend Youngstown

Just a FYI: This is the first I've heard of this parade. YPD traffic had denied a parade route application a month ago for the 4th of July citing issues with the application/organization of the event. I'm not certain if this is it? Is there a link to this story in the Vindy? I must have missed it. If the folks putting on this parade read this board and if the parade is a go, I'd be happy to include it on city event's site for some last minute promotion if they'd like me to do so.

PK

jay

The parade story in the newspaper states that parade participants are still being accepted.  The contact information for the organizing group was not listed however.

jay

Youngstown July 4th Parade

Starts at 12:00 Noon

Begins on Fifth Avenue at the YSU Stadium
Travels south on Fifth Avenue to Commerce Street
Heads east on Commerce Street to Wick Avenue