News:

FORUM HAS BEEN UPGRADED  - if you have trouble logging in, please tap/click "home"  and try again. Hopefully this upgrade addresses recent server issues.  Thank you for your patience. Forum Manager

MESSAGE ABOUT WEBSITE REGISTRATIONS
http://mahoningvalley.info/forum/index.php?topic=8677

Main Menu

Snow On Sidewalks

Started by jay, March 11, 2008, 05:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

I am not sure about that. I will have to see if I can find out.

jay

Thank you very much for the information.
Which city department would be be responsible for enforcing this ordinance?

Shirley

I found this on a website for Youngstown.
311.01  PLACING INJURIOUS MATERIAL OR OBSTRUCTION IN STREET.

(a)     No person shall place or knowingly drop upon any part of a street, highway or alley any tacks, bottles, wire, glass, nails or other articles which may damage or injure any person, vehicle or animal traveling along or upon such street, except such substances that may be placed upon the roadway by proper authority for the repair or construction thereof.

(b)     No person shall plow, push or otherwise place, or cause to be plowed, pushed or otherwise placed, any ice or snow upon the paved portion of any street, highway, alley or sidewalk within the City.    

(c)     Any person who drops or permits to be dropped or thrown upon any street any noxious, destructive or injurious material shall immediately remove the same.  

(Ord. 96-28.  Passed 1-30-96.)

jay

It is very difficult for pedestrians to move about on the sidewalks of Youngstown after a heavy snow storm.  The photo below is just one example.  The pile of snow on the sidewalk was deposited by a private contractor who plowed the snow from the driveway of a home across the street.

Is there a law in Youngstown to deal with the improper placement of snow on public walkways?
If not, there should be.